Topic: muffer / exhaust system

Due to an earlier mistake, I discovered that I had a meltdown of my muffer, in part.  I have hunted down a replacement part from Hamilton Marine but wanted to know if anyone has bought something different.  My old muffer system is/was: Vetus LP45 waterlock type 4 LP system.  To replace it I get a Vet-Wlock L45R.  The two models look the same along with dimensions but the new one would have a rotating inlet open to fit two different hose design/layout.  My engine is BUKH DV 8 ME if that is need to know info. When I was working on my water cooling system the boat yard hand was surprised to see a plastic muffer system as water started to squirted out of it when we started up the engine to test the new water inpeller, the meltdown part.  The meltdown did wonders for going into the cabin with blue smoke while the engine is running.  Any, is there a better muffer system, non-plastic, out there that fits our little boat and is it worth getting?  I was just wondering before I put in my oder. Thanks, ~jklee

Re: muffer / exhaust system

Well, I can share with you two experiences. 

When I took on my Contessa it had no muffler at all.  Just a 2" heavy pipe running to a galvanized steel gooseneck on the transom.  The copper water cooling lines (which I just this summer -- aside:  flared copper is lovely stuff to work with!) have an injection point at the engine exhause port where the hose begins, and a second injection point at the gooseneck.  When idling the engine was fairly quiet, but very loud at higher revs where the gasses were able to blow through the system unimpeded.

I added the two-stage Vetus NLP 50 three seasons ago and have been very pleased by the result.  It won't save me from a melt down as you experienced, but it has made a big difference on the noise, especially when underweigh.  One concern I have is that the waterlock is mounted relatively high compared to the Vetus suggestions.  It is better than was the case under the old straight hose system, but still a slight worry. 

I would say stay with the Vetus and be done with it.  You know that the Vetus will fit so you don't have to fight with the hoses and that alone makes it worthwhile.  Just don't let it run dry again! 

Since we are nearing the end of the season, you might consider is shopping eBay over the winter.  The Vetus waterlocks come up every now and then and this was how I found mine.

Cheers! 

Christopher