Topic: Tacking Angle

Hi Folks

I have a silly question... I can't seem to sail to wind very well... dose any one know what their "tacking angle is between tack's... that is close haul to close haul... mine is about 120 degrees... seems allot...

thanks
josé

Re: Tacking Angle

That is about right at times.  I have sailed on other types of boats and the tack is between 90-120.  After the tack, depending on the wind, I can close-haul between 35-50.  Hope this helps. ~jklee

wouldn't a 120 degree swing mean 60 degree angle of attack sailing to windward at best?  Might be my imagination, but I am nearly certain I've been better than that, closer to 45 degrees (or a 90 degree turn through the wind on a tack).  Perhaps my perception is bent by true vs apparent wind, but I even tried to account for that...

I am 80 on flat water,90 more normal,and as much as 120 when it is very rough.No clue as to why your tack angle is so wide.

6 (edited by john_co26 2011-08-21 15:19:47)

Up until last season  I was using the original mainsail from 1979, and she didn't go to windward all that well. In light winds she was fine but the stronger the wind the more the old sail held me back.  A new main has improved things dramatically, without thinking about it too much I suspect I have gained 5-10 percent(minimum) in pointing ability. So how old are your sails? Mainsail in particular.

John