Topic: engine

The 1GM10 seems to be the engine of choice for repowering the Contessa.  Why do you want a 2 cylinder?

My boat has a Yanmar 2GM13 (fitted with a Campbell Sailor prop) that has more than enough power. It's smooth and quiet, but not a major difference when compared to the 1GM10. The 2GM20 will probably be too tight a fit to be practical.

Unfortunately, there are few used engines around here.  When they get tired, they're rebuilt. The 1GM10 will cost approx $5500 USD.

Re: engine

I'd say the 1GM10 is a great choice.  Reliable, simple to work on, and spares are available almost anywhere...  It's still a tight fit tho, with the need to remove the cockpit floor panel to do anything except maybe check the oil.

I installed a 1gm in my 1972 contessa and it all that would fit. It seems to have enough power but noisier than the 2m which probaly won't fit

Hi, I have a Yanmar 2GM fitted in my 1967 Contessa - bit of a tight fit and oversized for the boat but that's how it came when I bought the boat.

Cheers
Andrew

----------
If the memories are better than the dreams then it's all over.....
[url=http://www.contessa26moonshine.me.uk]www.contessa26moonshine.me.uk[/url]

I rebuilt my 1985 1cyl 7hp Farymann, and due to new parts, I had to upgrade head, cylinder, etc. and it cost me $5,000 Canadian almost exactly...not sure what I would do if it goes again....I would rather not have one at all!  But, need for harbours and tides here in Pacific Northwest...and the outboard is pretty well a sin on a Co26...so we are stuck with either a squashed in Yanmar or crossed fingers on a rebuild, or a silly bracket and even sillier outboard...sorry all you that have outboards....you think they would make them better shaped or something - or certainly LONGER...I'm just so fond of my boat's lines I don't want to upset her look...
I am very fond of diesel and the ease and safety of working on it, however.  And nothing like the rhythmic thumping while you are lazily motoring somewhere, foot on the tiller, head peeking over the coaming, wearing shorts...ahhh, summertime! ;-)

“You get a boat for only one reason, because you want one.  If you’re worried about being practical, forget boats.”

Ahh summer time!!

I was sitting in my truck on the shore of lake Ontario before work this morning as I always do, thinking about all the great sailing days I had and missed last summer aboard my CO26.
Ahh summer time!!
Its not the cold weather that bothers me about winter up here in the great white north it is the fact that it seems like it will never end!!

O'well the Toronto international boat show is only a couple of days away, that always helps.

I have not heard of the vire engine can anyone provide a few details, # cylinders horse-power etc

As to the orginal question sorry I have not constructive reply my boat(my family's boat actually) is equipped with the orginal ferryman, and hopefully will stay that way for  a long time to come, the idea of spending 5000$ plus on an engine? YIKES!!

When I bought my '76 contessa 2 years ago it had an old Faryman in it that had seen its last days.  I got 3 estimates from reputable mechanics with regard to a rebuild.  The price was about the same for what I'd pay for a brand new Yanmar 1GM10 which comes with a 5 year warrentee.  I looked at 2 cylinder models but the fit was way too tight.  After 2 year with the Yanmar, I'm convinced I made the right choice.  Very reliable and economical.  My total fuel bill for last year was $5.  I agree with you Shannon, I love the lines of the boat.  I've sailed for years with both diesels and outboards...I'll take a diesel any day.

While the 8HP Bukh engine we've dubbed the "Little Red Demon" in #322 continues to run well, I've given thought to what would happen if it were to pack it in.

The 1-cyl Yanmar is a popular choice among smaller boats, which is great, because it means parts will be relatively easy to find.

On the other hand, some of the smaller 2-cyls out there in the 12-15hp range have superior fuel consumption numbers, more even torque curves, and are quieter. Yes, they're larger, but some of them are incredibly tiny, like the aforementioned beta.

As for outboard, the pros are cost and weight. The cons are the awful appearance, lower fuel consumption, and less usable power in a seaway.

It'd be a tough choice. They don't call them Yammer-hammers for nothing.

I have just purchased a 1975 contessa 26.

I would like to replace the vire engine with a two cylinder diesel engine.     what engines fit? Are there any used engines?