Topic: sandblasting hulls

Looking for opinions/advice....   My new-to-me boat is in need of some hull repair due to blisters on the aft starboard side and rudder.  They have been opened and drying all summer and the surveyor told me the moisture metre shows the hull is dry as a bone.  I've hired a well-respected local "boat-guy" to do the work.  He suggests I sandblast the hull and then epoxy etc.  I've read in my boat mainentance book that under no circumstances should one sandblast a hull.  My "boat-guy" insists that he's had great results and there's no problem.  Any advice?  Oh, boat-guy also suggested a plan B: to just to repair the blisters, paint it and hope for the best.  Any advice?  Suzeh

Re: sandblasting hulls

Your boat guy may have been generically describing 'sandblasting' meaning the hull would be 'bead' blasted with a relatively soft media like crushed walnut shells for instance. No way do you want to hull to be blasted with silica sand or any other agressive abrasive. If he wants to break thru the gel-coat regular old machine sanding is much preferred over blasting of any kind which will leave the hull surface highly irregular when you're finished. Machine sanding is the way I'd go but thats just my 2-cents.

paintng the hull deck joint on a 26 would be about as effective as ........  if you look in the depths of the gallery theres a cross section that I cut out - it's a vertical flange, hull on the inside, deck on the outside.  riveted together.  the best thing to do to keep water out of this is remove the rubrail and seal up the joint with either epoxy and filler (what i did) or a polyurethane sealant (sika, 5200 etc)

I meant that the new epoxy should should go all the way up the hull, under the aluminum rail to where the joint occurs, not across the joint itself. Should have made myseelf a little more clear. After the epoxy cures the joint can then be recaulked and a new rail installed. Several people I've known take this opportunity to add a new Merriman type cap rail as well.

LaDonna & Rob

Check out our progress on 'Tess' at [url]http://contessa26.wordpress.com/[/url]

You guys did such a great job on that boat. Have the new owner come over and let us know what his plans are.

Yikes!!! I've just read through the suggested website. That was a little sobering! This is my first "big boat" (full keel, not on a trailer) so it's a bit of a new world for me.  One step at a time, I keep telling myself.
Regarding my original post, the topsides and deck are okay for now I think (hope)...they need only a cleaning and waxing.  I was just wondering about  the difference between "sandblasting" and "peeling"....but I think I've picked up enough info from my boatguy to know that he's not talking sandblasting with walnut shells as mentioned in a previous post.  For now I've opted for "plan B" ...just patch things up, paint, and get in the water in the spring.  Hopefully, she'll float me merrily away and all will be fine.  Like I said...one step at a time.
I've posted a "before" picture of Suselle in the gallery ...I'll post another in the spring after the hull is done and she's all spiffed up.