Topic: Stemhead / Anchor Arrangements

I am sorry that my contributions on the last thread on this subject turned into a bit of a digression.  However, it was and is great to get such support from the forum members.

To get us back on to a new stemhead I am starting a new thread. 

For your interest, I have posted to the gallery the stemhead and anchor arrangements of a recently rejeuvenated Alberg 30 named Shamrock.  The bobstay shown is a stainless rod.  This not only makes it more durable when bumped by the anchor, but it also reinforces the whole setup so that if anchor loads are large, then the bobstay helps to support the sprit.  This boat has a windlass, and the anchors are hung in such a way that the anchor rode passes cleanly from the roller, through the chock to the windlass.

The solution is interesting, although I am reluctant to hang so much weight so far forward on our little boats.  And is a windlass really necessary for our little boats?  Hmmmmm.

Re: Stemhead / Anchor Arrangements

I have an old photo (see gallery) from Shannon with an anchor setup I like but not sure how to go about finding the parts to make it.  Is this what your thinking about? jklee

Hey John...You might be able to get that bow anchor roller from Stainless Outfitters.  The one I have on my boat Caprice is exactly like the one Shannon has (rather had) on Rhiannon.  It is a clean-looking installation and it really does work well.  I believe Roger Myerscough, one of the original Contessa Corner contributors who sold Shannon that marvelous boat, told me a long time ago that he got that roller from Stainless.  Might be worth checking with them.  They're online.  Cheers!

I received the following from John Bamford at Stainless Outfitters:

"We can replace the damaged pieces on your Contessa.  We have specs for the original 3 leg bow rail and the 4 leg upgraded rail.  Pricing on the bow rail is $475.00( 1" tube).  The stem can be recreated with a stainless fabrication for about $900.00.  We would need the original stem for patterning. "

I think that Shannon's old stemhead had a bolt-on roller -- this would be less expensive.

Think our JJT stemheads are all the same?  Think Stainless Outfitters would be interested in a group deal for a discount?  We could put together a bulk order (those of us who want to replace/upgrade to SS with bow roller) and deliver one stemhead for duplication.  I'd be game if they would be able to produce some savings given a larger order....

Okay, can you tell me the different between a bolt-on roller and non-bolt-on roller.  I am starting to think next years projects. jklee

Not all co26's have the same stemhead. My 1986 has two ss sockets for the bow rail screwed down on the stemhead casting. I have seen stemhead castings that include the sockets for the bowrail as part of the alum. casting. These I might add were quite corroded.
My anchor roller is a bolt on. The design doesn't allow a line to pass through the chock without chaffing on the rather sharp edge of the bow roller extension. Needs to be redesigned.
So where do the four bolts or screws thru the stemhead go? Is there a backing plate? A solid piece of f/g? What is under this stemhead? I would like to know before I take mine off....
I will post a photo of my stemhead in the near future. I would encourage others to do the same so we know what we are talking about.

Stemhead Images added.

if you're going with stainless outfitters 1) don't be in a hurry, 2) if you're getting a 4 leg bowrail and have the older style fwd casting then make sure that they leave the front legs long and cut them to fit after.