Topic: PHRF

New England PHRF sets it at 252

Re: PHRF

Welllllllll, if you don't use a spinnaker, which I haven't learned to yet, and your sails are not brand new, then you might get a rating like me.....301!!!

“You get a boat for only one reason, because you want one.  If you’re worried about being practical, forget boats.”

All hands,

One can get from US sailing in Portsmouth RI (401 683 0800) a publication called "PHRF handicaps". It is a spiral bound publication costing 35 bucks for USSA members (in 2002). In it you will find PHRF ratings for boats with PHRF ratings in practically all PHRF jurisdictions in the US. Assumptions as to rating include:

Max headsail 150% LP
Conventional symmetrical spinnakers
Boats set up as per their "standard class” or ex factory condition.

Since PHRF is a local arrangement each jurisdiction has particular rules that vary between areas. I have sailed on one boat that traveled and in one year we had 7 PHRF certificates to cover Narragansett Bay, Long Is. Sound, PHRF New England (Boston), Chicago, Detroit, Ft. Lauderdale and Key west race week. And they were all  slightly different….

For instance on Narragansett Bay one can get a “credit” for roller furling unit, a bigger credit if it is the only sail, more credit for smaller LP sails etc. But not on LIS.
For the C 26 the range of ratings is:
L. Erie & Mid Atlantic: 240, L. Ontario & Newfoundland  243, YRA LIS (NY) is 246 St. Lawrence Valley: 249, Nova Scotia is 250, NoCal & New England it is 252, Pac NW it is 271 Santo Domingo 308 and so on.

There is also information on the size of the data pool from each area so it is possible to figure out how many years a jurisdiction has been rating a particular class along with how many boats in the sample.The data pool for C 26 is small wirth 4 boats being the maximum, in Nova Scotia. My book is from 2002.

Cheers
Joe Cooper

I just applied for my PHRF-NW rating and got a NFS rating of 295. The handicapper told me the ratings vary as they take into account sailing conditions in different parts of the country. May be true?

Hi All, I am looking for the PHRF rating for the CO-26. I'm currently racing with a 264 rating that our club assigned, but starting to get some rumors of other rating numbers. I know the numbers vary around the country, what and where are you using, or have seen used in your area.
Thanks
Stan
CO-26 #228
Hanky Panky
Littleton CO

If you add a barbeque, I believe it goes up over 300, guffaw!

“You get a boat for only one reason, because you want one.  If you’re worried about being practical, forget boats.”