Topic: rigging changes

I have to replace my standing rigging for age reasons and i am thinking of adding a babystay on the foredeck to allow me to use the boat as a cutter rig.  Does anyone have any experience with this and also does anyone have any experience extending  the attachment point of the main forestay by adding an extended anchor platform and bowsprit?  Thanks.

Re: rigging changes

I think the biggest problem is how to suppor the attachment point properly. Adding a bowsprit would require a chainstay below. I'm not sure how one would go about doing that and adding enough support to ensure no damage was done.

The second issue would be the requirement to add running backstays to counteract the tug on the mast from the inner forestay.

SMH and others have said, and I tend to agree, if we add too much rigging, or too heavy, it will be an endless "upgrade" of "things", ie: chainplates would have to be bolted in heavier (and be bigger) to support heavier rigging, etc.  Plus, as Adrian said: if you add a forestay, you must add a backstay...now you could have running (removable) backstays, however, you are adding more lines etc....remember I am saying all of this just from what I have learned and read, not YET from experience.

However, I have two holes in my stemhead fitting: one where my roller furling is and one where it was. (It was moved forward and a new hole put in because there was  a minute crack in one part that I will rectify by replacing entire fitting with stainless...with two holes!
I will then have a spare stay, and then use either, not both...ie: I won't turn her into a cutter even though that is the optimum sailing plan! ;-) 
By using only one, I of course don't need backstays, etc...and the load on the rig remains what it should be, and I have the option of two forestays: for emergencies but also so I can use either my roller fuling and my nice sail or my nice hank-on sails (one a small, reefable jib) when I want better sail shape...let's face it, a rolled up 135% genoa with foam luff has no business being around in more than say...40k?!   And guess when it will decide to unroll itself?! 

Also, I learned, or was rather, told quite sternly, when I said I wanted a baby stay, that a "baby stay" is a stay used to support the mast, not a forestay (for sails)...rather a second forestay is called an inner forestay!   Point taken and shared.

Ok, that's my two cents worth....

“You get a boat for only one reason, because you want one.  If you’re worried about being practical, forget boats.”

PS: again, the sail plan it afforded would seem too much for our little boats...as it is we are superbly headsail driven. 

I would also be concerned, and rightly so as you all are, is how would we ensure it didn't rip out of our balsa-cored decks...you would want to ensure it was well secured...

That being said, I would definitely like to have the option of moving the headsail effort aft once the winds got ugly...so let me know what you do, heh heh!

“You get a boat for only one reason, because you want one.  If you’re worried about being practical, forget boats.”

Very interesting...saying baby stay and with accompanying adjuster, and is a useable forestay?!  Sounds like it would clip right to a second hole at stemhead, foregoeing the need for a heavy duty backing....however, not really moving CE aft...but does allow for emergencies, and for using hank ons....That's what I'll try, in heavy winds while still close to home first...drop the furled sail and put up my 90% reefable blade...

And yes, Christian, there is something to be said for having a simple rig and being able to quickly tack (or did I gybe?! ;-)  and get the heck out of Dodge when one needs too...and considering my boat had already done a 360, and then decided to heave to while I was reefing at the same time the ferry came around the corner made for some instinctive manuevers that I did not know I had...keep her moving and not towards the rocky shore 100 ft away...and by the way, she'll sail well enough with the headsail backed to save both her and yours truly's frightened rear end!  A headsail-driven boat is a good thing, for me anyways!
(By the way, it was my first overnight trip on her, and every minute was a new experience!)

Jeeze Shannon. That sounds like Horseshoe Bay!

Ahhh, you know of what I speak! ;-)

Yes, I was on the north tip of Bowen, actually, heading to Gambier, and the ferry comes out of Horseshoe bay, makes that angled turn to come into the channel between the two...and if you know the area, you also know how big they are and how fast they go!  20k if not more.

I looked before I started to reef, I started the reef, she started to tack, hove too and heeled over as I still had 100% of the genny out, I peered around mast and....here comes the ferry! 

We have alot of ferries, tugs, and tankers...you learn real fast to take bearings and be ready to give way, as well as listen to the traffic channel! ;-)  A leisurely lunch in a dead calm turns into a mad "turn on the engine and move" scramble real quick as you realize that supertanker has made its turn and is heading straight for you!

Trying to coax one knot out of her in a slight breath of wind does not get you out of the way fast enough...that's another important, likely the main reason I need an engine out this way....not to mention the minimum 1-3k tidal current in most areas...and up to 10k in the passes! ;-)

You used to live out this way?!

Are you coming to our rendezvous?!  It'll be the best in Canada, I'll bet, heh heh!

I was just on that ferry (Horseshoe Bay to Departure Bay) last week, visiting family on the island.

I never lived in Vancouver, but as a child, I lived in Golden, BC, before it became a major ski metropolis.

As for making the west coast rendezvous, if I can, I will, but I will be very honest and say I doubt I'll be able to make it.

Adrian, how kind of you to even consider our rendezvous!

I too will try and make an East Coast one, but if I did, alas, it would be without my boat!