Topic: Shortwave (Receiving) Antenna

Re: Shortwave (Receiving) Antenna

I too am considering this as yes, it seems most reasonable.  Anyone else?

(Yes, I am a HAM in more ways than one, but have yet to transmit or receive as have not bit the bullet and bought a SSB/Shortwave/HAM etc. but did indeed pass my test by the seat of my pants!)

“You get a boat for only one reason, because you want one.  If you’re worried about being practical, forget boats.”

ChrisT: How did you affix the AWG #12 wire? Did you literally run it up alongside the aluminium mast, or hold it off via the spreaders? Did you tune the length at all?

Was / Is reception good enough? How far away are you from the Transmitter?

A laptop & weatherfax software is tempting, but its an awful lot of extra faff & a Peli case for such a small boat... How useful do you find it?

Sorry to grill you, but it would be very useful information!

Jarvist: the wire was led from the mast top to a small cleat mid-spreader, then down to deck alongside the mast. I led it through deck through a solar vent but eventually the wire was cut by the sharp metal cover, so a better entry point would be recommended. The reception was good once offshore. Again, there is no transmitter, only an SSB receiver.
The software is great help. You can download a free demo on the site. Personally, I need the graphics, as seeing the charts on the screen gives me a better view than taking down notes from a robotic voice (they call it electronic Charlie or something like that).
Then again, about 80% of the forecasts offshore were inaccurate. The barometer remains the most reliable source of local weather conditions( I have a digital one that works great + a traditional one.) The weather forecast software is good to see the big systems moving, and if there's a serious cold front, tropical storm, hurricane coming your way. That's how I see it. I never expect it to tell me anything about local conditions. I was fighting a fierce 40-knot gale with 18-foot seas when the forecast showed half-foot seas and no wind! But since I wanted to keep an eye on the first hurricane of the year, the software was great in showing me its track, velocity and expected course over the next 48h.

I have the following shortwave antenna on my boat. On top of the masthead, a 1” square aluminum tube extends aft horizontally about 18”. This also allows the windex to be mounted so that it does not interfere with the VHF antenna. From the aft end of the tube there is a foot long piece of wire then a plastic insulator then the top end of the 18ga bare copper wire. The wire extends down toward the stern. A 5 or 6 foot tall stainless pole is vertically mounted a foot and a half forward of the stern. The bottom of the wire is held by the top of the pole. Since the distance from the mast to pole may vary slightly, the wire is not attached directly to the pole. Instead a pulley is inside the top of the pole, the wire goes into the pole, around the pulley, down the center of the pole and then attaches to a length of bungee cord. The wire and the bungee come out the bottom of the pole. The bungee keeps tension on the wire. The pole and the masthead tube keep the wire away from the main sail, people and the backstay. My shrouds are all grounded so it may be important to keep it separated from the shrouds. The pole is also used to mount the GPS antenna at the top away from possible damage. The Canadian flag is mounted on the pole, since it must be kept away from the selfsteering gear. This setup has worked for me very well. It is completely out of the way. I do not transmit, so use it as a long wire antenna without a tuner. I have been able to pick up Herb the weather router guy as far away as Morocco. Herb is in Ontario and transmits on marine SSB. I have a few pictures and will post them when that can be done on the site.