Topic: Preventer

I would like to hear from anyone with experience of installing a preventer: hardware, sheets, attachment points etc. Any other relavant comments would be much appreciated.

Re: Preventer

Me too.
Someone told me to use a detachable vang, but I do not see the sense in that as far as: if you wreck the preventer, you've wrecked your vang...and lord knows we need it down wind, I learned!
And, if you really don't want the preventer to rip out of the boom as it's also your boom vang, it will rip out completely with no way to repair it.

“You get a boat for only one reason, because you want one.  If you’re worried about being practical, forget boats.”

One way of doing this is to have a pulley attach to a stanchen up towards the bow then tie a sheet to boom then through the pulley then back to your sheet winches.  This way you have control over you boom, which is very important. 

I was at the helm on a 39 foot when we used a rope using a butterfly knot from boom to stanchen (premanent tie down) when we go hit with a 40+ knot wind gust that lasted 5+ minutes that turned the boat to port hard.  I thought okay, just go up into the wind to ease wind off the sails.  I forgot the preventer and everyone on board jumped at me to turn the boat around as the preventer if caught in the wind on the other side of the sail would or could have blown us over.  Once we got everything under control, I decided never to be catch in that position with a permanent tie down preventer again.  I saw the above set up in a book, but I can not find the picture at present.

I would be more inclined to anchor the preventer to  a  block and loop slider mounted on the track rather than to a  stanchion but given that I have no experience with ANY sort of preventer rigg, I am open to any and all suggestions!

I too would want preventer on  track as opposed to stanchion.  And, for reasons John mentioned, I would have it on a quick release shackle, in effect bringing the whole contraption from one side to the other.  And, when not needed, it could be clipped completely off boom and stowed away.  In other words, if you don't need it, it's not just wrapped around something waiting to get caught.

“You get a boat for only one reason, because you want one.  If you’re worried about being practical, forget boats.”

The best mechanically and most suggested method is a line from the end of the boom to a pulley at the bow and then back to a cleat. The problem is that you can not tack with it, it has to be taken off when not used and it must be set up before the boom goes out. It can only be used effectively when the boom is all the way out. Which adds up to not always using it since it is such a hassle.
I have been using a system that is not as strong, but is very convenient. I have a stap around the boom attached to two lines. The main is loose footed so the strap can slid to were it wants to be. (about 4 feet from the mast). Each line goes to a pulley on the jib sheet track, then back to the winch cleat. The cleats are not used since I have selftailing. Simply tighten the line on one side and leave the other one loose. The system is permanently rigged. Since the lines are forward of the dodger, you can tach without problems. It will work on a full run or beam reach. Because it is so easy to use, I always use it when the wind is near or aft of the beam. I decided that policy would be a good idea after a friend had three of his front teeth knocked out in a gybe. It is not as mechanically good as the line at the end of the boom, but I have not had a problem with over stressing the boom yet. Remember, if you gybe, the main is backed winded, but the boom does not get a chance to move so there is no slamming over of the sail and boom. That fast moving mass is what can really get bad things happening. It is a simple low cost solution that is easy to get in the habit of using. All that you need is some line and two pulleys. I had bought new jib sheet pulleys and cars, so I just left the old ones in place and used them and the lines where made from old halyards. So it was practically free with the strap sewn up from canvas and seatbelt web strapping. That's a price I can handle and after 11,000nm I still have all of my teeth.

you got it seeadler! that's the best preventer system I know of.

That sounds GREAT!