Topic: Hard Dodger

As I'm in the process of doing some major deck repairs and would eventually like to install a dodger I'm exploring the idea of a hard dodger. Has anyone ever built or seen one? Would it ruin the lines of the boat? Am I crazy?

.                               ,,,,,
                               (o o)
------------------oOO---(_)---OOo------------------

Re: Hard Dodger

I've never seen one on a Contessa 26, but I recall Shannon mentioning having seen one, I think.

If my boat didn't already have a nice soft dodger i would definately look into installing a hard dodger.  I think if you built it strong enough you could install a mainsheet traveller on the top of it and get rid of that garbage stock mainsheet setup.

That's a great idea Mark. I wonder how strong it would have to be as it would be mounted further forward than a traditional traveller and therefore subjected to increased loads. I'd hate to have the whole thing torn off in the first bit of nasty weather.

(o o)

lots of larger boats have travelers mounted on the deck in front of the sliding hatch so i don't think it would be impossible to make it strong enough, however i am not an engineer yet so i couldn't say for sure how strong it would have to be but i think it could be a good system.

6 (edited by ShannonRHIANNON 2006-03-11 22:00:48)

“You get a boat for only one reason, because you want one.  If you’re worried about being practical, forget boats.”

I am toying with the idea of laying up a hard dodger next winter.It would be pretty stream lined to help prevent it getting smoked in a knockdown.In addition it would never wear out.Makes total sense to me.

Thanks Shannon, I checked out the website but from the look of those shown I think I'd like something a little more durable. I'd like to see the pictures of the Contessa in your vast photo album for some ideas if possible. Right now I'm trying to come up with a design of my own, that way I can't get upset at anybody when the whole thing disintergrates at the worst possible moment.

(o o)

Well Gadget to answer your question you must be crazy. Why does anyone add a dodger to a Contessa 26 when all it does is ruin the beautiful lines of the design. How can you guys can sleep at night? If you want a motorsailer buy a motorsailer.

Have you ever sailed before cole?  If you have then you would know why you would put a dodger on.  I would consider the dodger on my boat propably the most important part of gear.  With no dodger, when sailing with winds above about 8 knots you are goin to get wet and cold.  I personally would rather be dry and warm under the shelter of my dodger than be sitting out in the open cold wet cockpit.  There is a reason why 95 % of cruising boats have dodgers maybe you just need to experience the cold first hand.  If you are sailing in the tropics a dodger probably is not nescary but anywhere else it is pretty much mandatory if you want to do any serious sailing.

to dodger or not

does the dodger mainly make a difference when its raining?

and can you really see anything besides birds out of those windows when you are sitting down and holding the tiller?

(i like the idea of the dodger sheltering the door when its raining. and tania had one so they must be cool!)

The dodger makes a difference in all conditions.  When it is raining you can put stuff like charts and binoculars or anything that is better off staying dry on the coachroof underneath the dodger and it doesn't get wet, it is close at hand and it is out of the way.  Also the dodger protects the door from getting rain inside and spray from wind/waves.  When it is windy and there is a sea running it helps keep the cockpit dry and it provides a spot underneath it to stay out of the wind and spray.  When it is sunny and hot, it provides shelter from the sun.  I can not think of a time when it is better to have no dodger.  It does restrict vision slightly but if you have a well designed dodger the visiblity is still fine.  The dodger on my boat has side handles to make it safe to navigate the side deck on the way to and from the foredeck.  When standing in the cockpit it is also a good thing to grab/lean on for stability.  When I was buying my boat I didn't think a dodger was mandatory, but since then I have experienced boats with and without dodgers and I now consider it a must on any serious cruising boat.

Wow, a dodgy business this dodger issue. Didn't think I'd have to dodge the flack from the non side but then we all have an opinion don't we. I think I'll push on and design one anyway, after all, it's my boat.

P.S. Nice pictures on your website Mark, the woodwork looks perfect. Interesting location for shorepower hook-up, was that just for convienence?

(o o)

Those pictures are from the day I was buying it.  They are very out of date and a lot of things have been changed since they were taken, including the shorepower.  The power cord was coming in through the chain pipe and ran through the anchor locker to a heater on the floor.  It was a very low budget system.  There is now a proper shorepower plug and breaker panel with built in plugs which makes  the surveyer a lot happier!!!(he was not a big fan of the old setup)

Mark - did you do the topsides?  Gelcoat or paint?  I'm going to do a two tone grey and off white (grey for the non skid) but still not sure whether to paint the whole thing, or gelcote the non skid and paint the shiny parts....

Was your boat ever listed on yachtworld?  Looking at the pictures, the location of the heater jogged my memory....  I think I've seen that picture before...  Cheers

The nonskid has been painted but the rest of the deck is still gelcoat.  I renewed the gelcoat with rubbing compound and wax which worked very well.  I thought it needed to be painted at first but my friend who owns a marine store suggested heavy duty rubbing compound and wax which turned out a lot easier and probably gave a better result. 

I don't think it was ever listed on yachtworld, I bought it 2 days after it was listed on buysell.com but it is possible that it was on yachtworld in november 2004.