Topic: contessa tiller

I finished making a new tiller out of ash and was wondering if it is better to oil it or varnish it?My old boat was oiled from the factory,Any ideas out there!thanks George

Re: contessa tiller

I use cetol light on all my wood and i really like it for a couple different factors.  First of all, I think it looks very good.  It may not look as good as freshly varnished wood but after a couple of months the varnish wears a lot more then the cetol.  The cetol is super easy to apply and reapply.  I can redo all the bright work on my boat in about 1 hour and I do it once at the start of the season to make it nice for the season adn then again in the fall to protect it from the harsh wet winter weather.  If part of the finish gets damaged from excessive wear or fenders rubbing etc. with a quick hand sanding and a couple fresh coats of cetol it is impossible to see the repair, unlike with varnish which is super hard to touch up.  With regular maintenence(2 coats per yr) the wood shouldn't have to be scraped down to bare wood for a long time.