Topic: cushion replacement -- closed cell foam?

ahh yes -- those 30 year old cushions. although its amazing that they are still there after 30 years, its just not very comfy to sit on, much less sleep. the fabric itself (with the nagahyde on the bottom) is still actually in pretty good shape, so i'm thinking i can just replace the foam inside.

i've heard closed cell foam is wonderous, also heard that you can do one layer of closed cell on the bottom, and regular or egg shell foam on top of that.

any reccs? good cheap sources to buy? should i just take some foam camping pads and cut them to fit?

tia!

Re: cushion replacement -- closed cell foam?

Whatever you decide, let us know. I'm in the market for replacing our 22 year old vinyl wonders.

You should definetly use closed cell foam since it does not absorb water.  If your cushions absorb water good luck ever getting them to dry out enough to prevent mold and mildew.  Well, you might say they're down below how often will they get wet.  My cushions have had several very wet experiences, mainly from forgetin to close the thruhull on the sink while dippin the rail while sailing hard, but there is always a significant amount of condensation in my boat and it always seems like it is damp underneath the cushions.  In a marine environment closed cell foam is the only way to go.

yes i've learned very well how 'absorbent' the regular foam is, believe me!

actually they have gotten soaked and eventually dried out, so its not impossible.

its the rainy season here in nor cal -- my front hatch is leaky and water condenses even when its not raining, so i ended up just putting the front (bow) cushions in storage until the rainy season subsides. then again its so cramped up there, maybe i'll just keep it for storage...

the cushions in the main cabin get kind of wet from all the condensation (see my other post trying to solve that issue) but its not quite as bad.

doing the cushions with just closed cell looks expensive so i might do a layer of closed cell on the bottom, and something else on top of that. seems like the water usually comes in from underneath so that would provide a barrier. just wanted to see if people had sources/ideas etc....

I used a Therma Rest matress in my last boat for the last few years I had it and this was the absolute end of condensation underneath.A boat I fished on had waterproof covers ,no condensation.I have seen a lot of B.S. solutions to this problem,none of which work.It seems that preventing the transfer of moisture is a good start in the comfort and dryness department.The closed cell foam sounds like a good idea.I have'nt checked to see if a therma rest will fit the contessa but if it does that could be my eventual up grade.They are an inflatable foam filled mattress.Cascade Designs is the company.