Topic: LINE KEEPERS and GPS

While on a Benateau for my sailing course, I used these great little discs with an elastic loop, mounted either side of the hatch and used for holding the coiled lines...I can't find any yet..anyone know what they are called and where to get them??
Also, considering GPS units...any recommendations?  Thanks so much...!

Re: LINE KEEPERS and GPS

not sure what the loops are called but i know a shop in victoria that sells them, but that probably is not much help.  For GPS, if you want one with charts I would recommend the garmin 276c.  Thats what I use and it is an amazing unit.  It is relatively small with a nice sized screen, and garmin bluechart is fantastic.

We're using a Garmin GPS 76MAP, which is a great, inexpensive handheld model. I figure more bells and whistles means more to go wrong.

I also use the Garmin 276c... its a great little unit that you can take in all of your travels... weather by land or sea... it's dual purpose... there is a Canadian outlet on the web that has the best prices... I'll have to get it... I have it at home... they were at the Toronto Boat show and they were lined up four deep all weekend with people buying.

Great, thanks!  Mark, if you wouldn't mind finding the name of that shop, I really want to follow up on those keepers, they were great.  Will look into the GPS recommendations!

I know they have them at Beneteau...maybe just have to join to order unless Mark comes up with it!  Thanks alot and will pass on when I find it, they are really great.  What does everyone else use to hold their coiled lines?

I am going to use little canvas bags that can loop over spare cleats for now, and will see how that works.  I usually coil my halyard and put beside the jam cleat, and then keep my genoa lines coiled beside me, with the active one around the winch and inactive one seat...when I am really heeled, or chaos happens, lines are on the cockpit sole, but it is just me sailing so never too crowded in cockpit. 

However, having yammered on about all that, I know what you mean: a plastic disc with an elastic loop and a ball....divinely simple...you could probably make some really cool ones yourself...

Geeeze, I can go on and on, can't I?! ;D

“You get a boat for only one reason, because you want one.  If you’re worried about being practical, forget boats.”

Oh, fogot: I use a Garmin Gecko Handheld GPS ($150 or so)  I rarely use it, just for emergencies (where the heck am I in this fog?!) 
While coastal cruising, I am a huge conning fan (using chart full time to orient with land) and compass...and offshore...well, heh heh, I will be using a sextant...I know, I know...why you ask...."cause I want to" I say! wink

“You get a boat for only one reason, because you want one.  If you’re worried about being practical, forget boats.”

That is close, but they don't have the little ball, you may be thinking of the sail keepers.  They are just a little disc, one screw in the middle and an elastic cord that you bring up under the coil and wrap over the disc.  It made life so orderly!!  Mark, when you find the name of that store in Vancouver, let us know, please!
I wrote the sailing instructor who had them on Beneteau to see if he could order some, but there must be a better way...?

Kristin, Best buy right now in GPS are Garmin monochrome screen GPS/Sounder units like the 188 or 168. Nearly everyone(like WestMarine) is selling them off at 60% or 70% off as they are discontinued but you'll get a full warranty and if they fail you'll get a color one to replace it. Good deal if its what you're after. Whatever you go for Garmin units are definitely the popular choice.

Seems like half have the mountable Garmins and the other have the handheld..never having sailed my boat, I am wondering about which is the more workable considering distance to mount, etc....? Thanks for the Garmin advice, Cole!
Oh!  Found a resource at Beneteau from whom I am going to order those line keepers at 5$ a shot, if anyone is interested.

Mine is mounted on a swinging mount that swings from inside into the companionway.  It is mounted beside my sounder and works very well.  It is very easy to read and the weather doesn't take it's toll on it since it is sheltered.

Jose- my sailing instructor gave me the number for Todd, a Beneteau rep., to order those line keepers.  I can't reach him but when I do, I will get the link so we can order them!

Thanks Kristin

OK!  It is cleared with Todd at Beneteau to call him at 843-629-5320, if you want to order those super line keepers!  Normally you have to be a Beneteau boat owner but any Contessas can call, though not order on- line.  They are actually in 3 parts for the order that include the gray clete #007984, rope #010782, and screw #456098.  They run around $5.95 each.

Thanks Kristin

Will give him a dingle...

Jose, I have sent the pics of the Line "Handlers" to you.  If anyone else would like to inspect, just drop a line and I'll send pics.  Kristin