Topic: Anchor Locker drain

To all of you out there who  have newer boats, where is the anchor locker drain located?  If it's a clamshell drain, draining outside, does it fill the anchor locker with water while sailing??  Just curious, an anchor locker is on my list before the boat hits the water..... Hopefully this year....

Re: Anchor Locker drain

The drain exits on the port side, without any type of external fitting (it's just a hole, maybe 3/8" dia).  As my project isn't in the water yet I can only speculate on backfilling, but with it's small diameter and it's location pretty high I wouldn't think it'd be much of a problem.  I could imagine some water getting in if you were burying the bow that may wet things, but not to the point of filling the locker, as it'd be draining back out as well.

One improvement I'd make in the newer model anchor lockers is a bolt or latch to lock the lid!

Also, you may want to reinforce locations for two large cleats on either side of the locker if you're going to have a deck hatch, as a midships cleat will lead the anchor rode right over the hatch making it impossible to open when you have a strain on the rode...

I too have anchor locker with simple hole to drain...and gee, I'll have to check if it has indeed filled up in choppy seas...but even if it did, it would weigh no more than rode in there, as it will not displace more than the empty space (rode will not move over) so...it would squish out top too...I will check next time - I regularly sail in very choppy seas so bury bow regularly...I have a barrel bolt holding mine closed, but would have a proper latch that could be seized down for offshore.

“You get a boat for only one reason, because you want one.  If you’re worried about being practical, forget boats.”

Do the newer boats with anchor lockers have a 'shelf' in the locker?  Or does the locker go all the way to the bottom of the 'v' of the bow??

It's a shelf. The locker is about 10-12 inches deep, and hangs above the very forward end of the v-berth.

That makes sense to me now.....  Guess I just found another job to add to the list.....

There is a dead space forward of v-berth, with a round inspection port...I mean, you could actually build a small "watertight bulkhead" situation there, if you wanted.   
The anchor locker is actually aft of end of bow, and it dips down into the v-berth, you can smash your head good if you want.

“You get a boat for only one reason, because you want one.  If you’re worried about being practical, forget boats.”