Topic: Stove...

Anyone heard of a "Son of a Sea Cook" stove??  The previous to the 5th had one mounted on the bulkhead wall above the sink on gimble...he won't give it up, it is in his truck, but thought it was great..

Re: Stove...

If it's this...you do not want to use it inside the boat, as it's a very bad thing! ;-)  I mean that because the flammable fuel (the propane) is not vented to the outside, but could sink to bilge and go boom.
You could use over the stern rail in cockpit, where I have my barbeque.

I am not a lover of propane at all, but I know some of the fellas have done ingenious venting of the little bottles.  (I beileve there is something you can set up.

“You get a boat for only one reason, because you want one.  If you’re worried about being practical, forget boats.”

My father has a heating solution that he learned from some old salt- use a non pressurized alcohol stove like Origo and put a ceramic flour type pot upside down over the burner to radiate heat...I would imagine you could use those pot holders to secure..wonder if there is air intake space?  You would have to get it to fit right I suppose, but never having seen those stoves in person...  Anyone have any experience with this idea?
Any reason to not put your cook stove into the starboard space where the head used to be if a nice mountinig with gimbals were built in?

The room factor up near the head is lacking a bit i would say.  I don't think I would want to be stuck with the job of cooking up in that tight spot.

Propane is the best fuel in my opinion (well CNG I would prefer but it is impossible to refill anywhere).  The only proplem is that it is heavier than air but if you build a proper propane system there is no problem.  I would rather be blown up by my propane system then watch my alcohol stove burn my boat down slowly while my water still has yet to boil.

Ummm, head "USED to be"?!   Soooo, next question:  where does one do one's duty on your boat?! ;D

“You get a boat for only one reason, because you want one.  If you’re worried about being practical, forget boats.”

UNDER THE V BERTH!!

When I wrote "is it this", my web link did not show up....so....I think you are talking about something where the cannister is in the boat...not safe, you don't want to kill yourself if it leaks or goes up in flames for whatever reason.

I just like diesel for my #1 pick for fuel, and am using alcohol now as it's easy and (relatively) cheap while here at home.  But, for offshore, I will get a diesel stove.
The flowerpot is just used to dissipate heat, and act as a "ceramic" as in the ceramic heaters, holds and retains and slowly releases heat.  And is safe, for that purpose.  But, it's breakable, hard to store, and of no real other use. 

If money was no object, I'd get the Wallas stove.  However, if I wasn't afraid of propane, (it's a boom thing, I hate balloons too! ;-)  I would have propane: easy, cheap, hot.  And more people like propane and can help you with things/parts/etc.   However, it puts alot of moisture in the air, so if you want a really dry boat, (I hate condensation) pick diesel. (Yes, alcohol puts water in too, but not as much, and because it's not as effective as a heater, you wouldn't use it as much...)

Oh, going under the V-berth in the porta-potti?!  Simple, cheap, and sorta easy to dump! ;D

I got a one burner ORigo and am going to instal like Bilgeret....except modify by taking a collender and sizing it to go over the top and be held down by the potholders for a covered flame....will let you know how it works!

Kristin.What make is your head.I might move mine  forward as well to free up that space.The brydon boy dosen't appear as if it will fit .Bill