Topic: Vinyl Letter Goo.....

Hi Group,

I'm in the process of removing some old vinyl letters from Tessa's hull and I was just wondering anybody has a surefire way of eliminating the residual adhesive?  Anything short of arson would do me just fine right now.  Thanks all in advance.  Just to let you all know, Tessa splashes down on Sunday aft.  Direct some good vibes towards me and my crew for Sunday.  Ciao for now.

José

Re: Vinyl Letter Goo.....

Hi Jose;
I removed a huge, painted name off an awlgripped hull, Not Easy!!!  I used mostly VIM and Paint thinner!, and a CLEAN cloth with a light circular motion, being careful that all of the paint thinner was wiped off regularly.
If yours is just adhesive on a gelcoat hull, VIM and non-abrasive cloth will do the trick.

“You get a boat for only one reason, because you want one.  If you’re worried about being practical, forget boats.”

Grazie Mille, Shannon!

With vinyl lettering, it's easiest I found to use hair dryer to heat the adhesive and the stuff just comes off.  The adhesive, on the other hand, just stuck out like a sore thumb and I have a very limited amount of time to clean off the hull of adhesive goo, wash her down and wax, then buff + apply antifouling before she goes in the water on Sunday aft. I'll definitely  try your remedy tomorrow and I'll let you know how it goes.  Thanks again.

Jose

p.s. Are you the country singer/model at shannonrae.com?  Just wondering......;-)

If it's a gelcoat hull then "methylene chloride free" paint stripper will do the trick.  The recordsol stuff you get from canadian tire is the same stuff as interstrip 299e ( did the whole bottom on my contessa... 1 gallon of interstrip at 75 bucks, 3 gallons of recordsol brand at 18 bucks each.... )  its the gel stuff, the liquid stuff is hard on the water where i want to go sailing and also my lungs....

don't leave it on too long, ie apply wait 5 and brush/wipe off.  if gooz is still left, reapply and brush and wipe.  best thing to apply is a cheap 1" or 1/2" paint brush.

i've been removing duct tape residue from all the holes i covered over, naively thinking that i'd be getting to them before the duct tape dried out, and i've found that the only thing that takes any adhesive residue off without effing the gelcoat or taking ten years is environmentally and fiberglass safe paint stripper.....  i wouldn't use a metal scraper, experience talking here, but instead use a toothbrush and some patience.

if you've got a painted hull, back to the drawing board.....

I bought a product sold specifically for that. It was a small airesol can (3'' tall). I can not remember the name. But try asking at the marine store. It worked good on Duck Tape goo and dried silicon.

Thanks Gents!

I'll be at Mason's Chandlery at Port Credit asking for these very products tomorrow and I already have Shannon's remedy at hand so I'll try the different remedies outlined tonight.  Can't wait for Sunday.  Hope the engine starts and I hope all the seacocks do their job in keeping the unwanted water out.

Jose

I think Mason's was the place I bought the stuff in the mini spray can. But that was 5 years ago.