Topic: Replace Cutlass bearing

Hi there,
We have a JJ Taylor Contessa 26 in Ireland and we are having trouble getting out the cutlass bearing.
We are currently trying the treaded bar and nuts method with a pipe outside to draw the bearing into.  We are not having much luck.  I don't see a grub screw or anything else holding it in place but it does not want to budge and we dont want to damage the transom.  The stern gear is not exactly standard and among other things has a lot of filler around the cutlass bearing housing.  It looks like whoever did it last time had trouble too. I just don't want to make it any worse.  I would apreciate any tips,
PS the site is great - have learned lots already
Toni

Re: Replace Cutlass bearing

Hi Toni

I have never done this... however... I took a workshop and the instructor told us how to do it... he said that using a hacksaw blade... you cut the inside of the Cutlass bearing and then you use a pair of pliers and just roll it into itself... it's not easy but that's how he suggested... also be very careful not to cut too deep....

This is the best I can do for you... I'm sure there are other suggestions out there and maybe someone might have actually done one...

Good Luck
Jose

----------
If the memories are better than the dreams then it's all over.....
[url=http://www.contessa26moonshine.me.uk]www.contessa26moonshine.me.uk[/url]

Last year I  replaced the whole works (drive shaft, cutlass bearing and the brass sleeve that houses the bearing) I did this because I suspected that the excessive engine vibration that i was experiencing was due to a slightly bent shaft or some other problem with shaft, bearing, sleeve or all of the above.  There is no easy way. I had to remove the whole works, brass sleeve an all. It had to be done by brute force. With the prop shaft out (of course!), I took the biggest pipe wrench I could find, clamped it on to the brass sleeve and removed and discarded the whole works. Replaced it with a new sleeve and bearing and epoxied the sleeve into place. The epoxy work was done after prop shaft, bearing and sleeve were all carefully aligned of course. It will be an even bigger and tougher job if I ever have to remove that sleeve again. And yes, it solved my vibration problems. The old Buhk now runs as "smoothly" as any happy  one-lunger can, which is to say that it only appears as if it is trying to throw itself overboard.

Andris

Hi Guys,
Thanks for the advice.  We are trying to avoid cutting out the bearing if we can.  But if push comes to shove....
Andris when you took the lot out can you remember if there was anything holding the bearing into the brass housing ?
I'll try the wyb forum and see what they have to offer . 
Thanks again
Toni

Toni,

The cutless bearing on my 85 JJT is held in place with set screws....

I replaced mine a few years ago. I removed the set screw in the outer tube that holds the bearing (outside end). Removed the shaft. Then I removed the stuffing box and connecting rubber hose on the inboard end. I got a solid metal tube that was a bit smaller than the inside diameter of the outer tube holding the bearing. It is put into the tube from the inside. It is larger than the cutlass bearing hole so it slides in until it hits the end of the bearing. It should be long enough so that the end sticks out to a position that you can get a good swing at it. Then get a 10lb sledge hammer and start pounding on it to force it out the back. It took a suprising amount of force to get it moving. The new one went in much easier.

Hi Guys,
Thanks again for the info.  We have the bearing out !! (well, almost)
For futute reference it was held into the outer brass sleeve with 2 grub screws.  But these had been covered over when we got the osmosis treatment done.  So we had to chip it back to reveal the 2 screws.
But we already had the bearing out by a few mm before we saw them so will most likely have to drill these out and replace them..
So now we only have to put everything back together..........Let the games commence!
Toni