Topic: Yanmar startup

I have a new to me, Yanmar 1GM and need to start it while in dry dock to make sure it runs before the big sling launch!  Can't seem to get through to Yanmar site and manual doesn't have out of water starting.  Can anyone tell me what the procedure is while out of the water?  It has been dry docked for two years with under 500 miles on it.  Thanks alot!

Re: Yanmar startup

I disconnect the hose from the water intake valve and stick the end in a bucket of water. If you run the engine for more that a minute or so you risk damaging the cutlass bearing. (the tube the shaft is in were it exits the hull)  It is lubed by water. You could have a hose spray water at it from the outside, but you really do not need to run the engine too long. You are just trying to see if it starts and runs. With the prop spinning in air there is no load so it can not be tested properly anyway. When I first ran my new yanmar I thought "this new engine is really quiet compared to the old one". When the boat is in the water and the engine is loaded the engine produces the normal level of noise. Many motor problems will only be evident when the engine is under load.

Thanks!  WE just heard that if you remove the impellor, you can run it for a second without water!  You think?

you could but you risk overheating.  It is very simple to remove the raw water intake off the valve and stick it in a bucket of water.  Using this method, running in neutral you can run it for as long as you would like to as long as you keep the bucket of water topped off.  Removing the impeller takes a significant amount of fiddling with small screws and you always risk having them swallowed up by the deep bilge(unless you have a speedseal).

Yes, don't be an idiot like me and run it in gear on the hard!   NOW I know.....

“You get a boat for only one reason, because you want one.  If you’re worried about being practical, forget boats.”

is it normal for the engine buzzer to go off when turning on the key?  Goes off again when pushing the starter button and while running.

The warning buzzer circuit closes (ie activates buzzer) when there is insufficient oil pressure to open the oil pressure warning switch, or when the temperature sender overheats and closes the circuit.

When you turn the key on, but the engine is off you have zero oil pressure.  The circuit is energized when you turn the key on, but stays closed because the oil pressure switch is closed.  Therefore it will buzz until the engine starts and builds oil pressure, opening the oil pressure switch, therefore opening the buzzer circuit.  If the engine is running and overheats or loses oil pressure, the respective sender closes the circuit and activates the buzzer.

If the buzzer stays on constantly right after the engine starts, you either have

1.  faulty oil pressure switch or faulty temperature sending unit or wiring issue with either/or.
2.  oil pressure problem.

If the buzzer comes on when you turn on the key, but turns off when the engine starts up then thats perfectly normal.  When you shut the engine down the buzzer will come back on again until you turn off the key.

Kristin,
Depending upon your engine panel and Yanmar setup you may also have a thermostat on the engine .....and the buzzer may also come on after the engine has been running a while due to overheating (blocked sea water cooling etc.).

Cheers
Andrew

----------
If the memories are better than the dreams then it's all over.....
[url=http://www.contessa26moonshine.me.uk]www.contessa26moonshine.me.uk[/url]

All yanmar gm series have an overtemp sender and a t-stat, but if the buzzer stays on right at startup, then I'd doubt its overheating in the first minute or two........

The thermostat is separate from the temperature sending unit, and is pretty much the same as a thermostat in an automobile application.  You want to get the engine up to operating temp relatively quickly, or it will never warm up at all.