Topic: Sad News for Rhiannon

Hello everyone;

I am very sad (to say the least) to report that due to unimaginable upheavals in my personal life, I have been forced to put Rhiannon up for sale. 
It is literally breaking my heart to do so, but for many circumstances that have left me shocked, saddened, and more - it is my only recourse...it literally brings tears to my eyes as I write this, and they are tears of both sadness and anger...

I have been lucky to list her with a broker who completely understands my emotions about selling her...they have been very discreet and have only showed her to one couple in the few days she has been listed, as they are allowing me the small solace in the wish that she will only be sold to someone who will love her as much as I do...and not just anyone can view her.

In the meantime, I am praying for a miracle that will allow me to keep her...

Thank you all for always being here to talk to, I will miss sharing "our" adventures, trials, and tribulations together.

Sincerely;
Shannon and RHIANNON

“You get a boat for only one reason, because you want one.  If you’re worried about being practical, forget boats.”

Re: Sad News for Rhiannon

Oh Shannon! I've been lurking on this site for awhile now and I'm so sad to hear your news.  I'm a woman just taking some sailing lessons and dreaming of owning my own Co26 when I'm ready.  Your posts have always been very inspirational to me and made me think "yeah, maybe I CAN do this."  A Rhiannon without her Shannon is like butter without its bread or a carriage without its horse!  I'm sending as many good vibes as I can across the country to help your circumstances change. Too bad you're not here in central Canada or maybe we could have worked something out.  Suzeh.

3 (edited by eebygumcaptain 2006-05-27 08:17:42)

Sorry to hear about your predicament. I can only imagine how you feel as working on own boat is one of the things which has kept me going during difficult times.

When I went out singlehanded last week for the first time,nervous as hell !  you gave me some of the inspiration...... as I remember you said in one of your posts that you need to get out and practice even if it was for 15 mins.

My thoughts are with you.

All the best
Andrew

----------
If the memories are better than the dreams then it's all over.....
[url=http://www.contessa26moonshine.me.uk]www.contessa26moonshine.me.uk[/url]

A sad day in deed... this Forum won't be the same...

Sorry to see you go...

My prayers are with you

All the best
José

Is there anything that we could possibly do to help you, Shannon?  Although Rhiannon may not be with you much longer, the knowledge that you've imparted in this forum forever makes you one of us so don't just disappear.  After all, you've made Rhiannon what she is today and you'll no doubt pick it up again hopefully in the near future.  We're all thinking of you in your time of need.  Stray strong and positive.

José

Shannon, you don't know me from Adam as I'm the new guy on the block having purchased Varuna #324 at the beginning April ( and she will be launched this week.)  I just want you to know that in my mind you are the expert whose knowledge and opinions are highly valued and respected.  I will be sorry to see you go.

Shannon, I'm very sorry to hear about your having to let go of your Contessa.  I have appreciated your inputs and sharing with this group and myself over the last year.  Hang in there and stay strong!  Just remember this is only a phase, a period of time which will eventually pass.  Think about how easy it will be to re-do your next Contessa with all your hard won experience.  If you ever get to Ohio and need a Contessa-fix, let me know, I'd be honored to do some sailing with you.  Best of luck and stay in touch. Jim / Lua

Shannon, you've lit up this place from the first moment you arrived on this board. Your upbeat attitude and honest responses to us men drowning in technical disussions and laconic analysis (accompanied by the customary sarcasm and profanities) have really been like a fresh breeze after an oppressive calm.
This is not the end of Shannon the sailorgal I hope. You'll pick yourself up and re-build your dream.
Until then, you will be missed.
Best,
C

Hopefully it will be neither the end of Shannon the sailor-gal nor her possession of Rhiannon. I will keep the faith. If need be, I will find some way (don't know how!) to buy Rhiannon myself, and sell it back to Shannon when she's more settled.

10 (edited by ShannonRHIANNON 2006-06-01 20:28:17)

You have all been just so amazing....I am so sad I have had to come to this situation in my life...and I am sad to partially? leave the forum....I still have my treasured experiences - and I see I still have all of you as my friends...I too have learned alot on this forum...if only that we are all there for one another.

I will still be here to talk and help solve things and reminisce...sniff...and I am still praying for the miracle you have all been helping me with...as well as taking everyone's suggestions and ideas and well wishes and trying to turn it all into something that will let me keep her.  I am calling in favours, talking to people, brainstorming, etc...and one never knows.

Adrian and John and those who have made the huge, heartfelt offer to buy her if they could...you guys are worth your weight in gold! ;-)

I will still be here...I will keep you all posted...thank you again for all being my friends...

(And yes, things can die inside us while we live...but if we are tough, (and I am!) we can rekindle those things we thought were dead and get right back on living life to its fullest...)

I am a solo sailor, and I will sail through this and give it my best...I'm still here...if I read and answer and talk, maybe it will all seem like a bad dream and everything will be back to "normal"...;-}

“You get a boat for only one reason, because you want one.  If you’re worried about being practical, forget boats.”

Remember Shannon, Contessa ownership is not a prerequisite of participation on this forum!

Shannon

i really appreciate all your posts, your time, your energy, and your positive attitude.

if you want to share whats going on with you please feel free. i dont know if we can help but i know that we will try our best.

13 (edited by ShannonRHIANNON 2006-06-03 11:59:36)

Again, you have all been just awesome, (and I use that word in its truest sense)  and I have slowly gotten my sense of humour and spirit back because of you all! ;-)  I am a true, solo sailor, (ie: not many friends! ;-) but you have all become closer than any friend I have ever had...and I know now that is partly because of our common "love", the Co26, but also because we are all going through all these items and issues together! ;-)  So, before I get too sappy, yes, I'm still here, and I have mentioned to others:  I can't make her sell, and if I drill some gigantic holes in the transom for the windvane mounting...but then delay the mounting....oops, no one will buy her that way?! ;-)  And, if you don't hear from me for awhile, maybe I will just sail away from everything... ;-)

Shannon,
I am fairly new to the forum, but have thoroughly enjoyed your take on the Contessa 26 as i read your postings.  I have been searching for a Contessa informally for a month or so now and came across your broker's listing and immediately knew on first glance that  i was looking at RHIANNON!!   It was only then that i came to the forum and saw that you had indeed put your 26 on the market.  I am tempted to fly over and check her out more closely, with or without those extra holes in the transom!
Best of luck,

Thank you mramos....she is indeed a "one of a kind"...and I am breathlessly waiting and hoping the listing will expire before she sells, as then I am released from one part of a legal agreement, shall we say, and I will be able to keep her.....I don't dare say that too loud......yet.......August 16th is the day....(can I hold my breath that long?)

Wow Shannon, I am sorry to hear of your troubles. Hang in there, times will get better.
Peter

Wow, what a sad story this seems to be.  I am brand new to this site, as I only checked in because I saw Rhiannon’s listing and was trying to find more info before replying to the listing.  I am so glad that I did.  I am looking for a boat to take off in, sort of a life saver if you will, but not like this.  So Shannon, if your wish is to have your listing run out, I will do my part and not call your broker.  I hope that you find a graceful way through this situation.

Bill Evans
Lopez Island, WA

“There is more to life than simply increasing its speed.” Mahatma Gandhi

Hi everyone, pals that you are....
I am sad to say that there is an offer on her, (and it's pretty well what she's listed at) and I have a stomach ache...however, I am told by the understanding brokers that the British fellow buying her is just in love with her...apparently he saw me and her at my old marina and was in love with her from that moment.   So, I will keep you all posted if the sale goes through (perhaps she'll refuse to get on the transport trailer?  Maybe her prop shaft will fall out in protest over being in gear on the hard?!....)
I will stick around here, you are all the best......we all teach ourselves alot about our boats and experiences, and I always think it best to share them...and I can still talk alot...;-}

Hi Shannon,

That totally sucks!  I was really batting for you on this one, Shannon.  I was hoping that the listing would run out but I guess Rhiannon is far too beautiful a vessel not to be purchased by somebody who loves Contessas as much as we all do and she's about as good as they come at any price.    I hope that he'll take care of her as well as you did but I also secretly hope that the deal falls through somehow.  It ain't over till it's over but if it's final then just forge ahead to the next one after all, you have made Rhiannon what she is today and you can do that again with your next one.  One day at a time.

José

20 (edited by ShannonRHIANNON 2006-07-09 09:26:29)

Well, I am told the fellow buying her is British, her survey and engine inspection is going on this week, and I am also told that the potential owner has become very, shall we say like all of us here,  fanatical about Contessas?! 
I've not  met him, but I believe his is as in love with her as I am/was...

And you know, Jose, I am now able to move past a tough stage in my life, (who knows, I might just move away from here and back east with all of you! ;-)   and I have been watching Stefan and Marc and others with project Contessas, and think: funds-wise and knowledge-wise (har har!) I would expect that to be a good step to take....and there are lots of them out there....Marc is right, usually project boat owners don't want to sell, then when they do, they know those of us who are passionately into it, and we get a deal!!

I'll still be around....talk to you all soon! ;-)

Shannon,  Sorry for the lost of Rhiannon.  I had hopes he would have backed out at the last moment.  If you do head back east maybe this forum could put togther a gathering in someplace Ontario and talk about our favorite boat one weekend evening.  It would not be a rendezvous but it be the next best thing;-)  Anyway, if I can be of any help, just ask.

22 (edited by ShannonRHIANNON 2006-07-21 22:01:40)

Well, I have to say I am a bit puzzled: the mechanic doing the engine survey on Friday, July 14, (I was not present) says she will not start ?!   Apparently a frost plug or something...very strange, as she, of course, had a heater in her all winter...

I like to ask them: "Have you ever worked on a Farymann before?!"    as I like to hear them say....'um, no, I've never even seen one before"!!

We'll see what happens...

Don't sell. When the universe resists, you need to slow down and figure out why.

Hey Shannon,

They call themselves marine diesel mechanics!  It's like the mechanics that were dealing with my Farymann.  They were so dead set against any hope of the K-30 starting again that they almost made me believe that it was true.  Was this mechanic hired by the buyer? If so then it might be wise to get the ones that re-built the engine to give it a go just to shame these guys who are probably trying to drive the price down.  Don't budge with the price.  These engines last forever and it's probably something they're omitting to do.  Could you clarify the issue with the de-compression lever and something about compression problems?  Also what's with all the water squirting everywhere?  It sounds like they're making a mess out of everything.

With regards to Tessa's engine, my brother in law who's a brilliant millwright was good enough to look at my problem before he had to go to Texas for an assignment and he had one of his suppliers to lightly hone the cylinder as it had rusted lightly and re-condition the head, valves and re-seat the valves as they were just a mess of rust which of course was the cause for the compression problem.  The only thing that I had to get from Germany was an original set of piston rings as mine were at least 20 years old. The piston was in immaculate shape.  Rob, my brother in law then set a couple of hours for me on July 1st and put everything together.  Wouldn't you know it, it started on the first try and it's been flawless ever since.  EntecWest played a pivotal role in giving sage advice (Thanks, Shannon!) and they scoffed at the mechanics who told me to re-power Tessa.  Even the guys at Farymann in Germany warned me to treat the newly re-built engine as a brand new engine.  When I asked both EntecWest and Farymann Germany as to the K-30's life expectancy, the replies were almost identical.  The engine, they said, will outlast your boat.

By the way, the figures for re-powering Tessa was quoted at around $ 8,000.00-$ 10,000 as opposed to $ 2,500.00 if the original mechanics were to re-build Tessa (no guarantees, by the way!).  The actual figures are as follows:

Honing & Re-conditioning + re-seating the valves-------------------------------$   40.00
Brand Spanking New Piston Rings from Mario Diefenbach----------------------$ 190.00
Single Handing Tessa from Port Credit to Hamilton---------------------------PRICELESS

Now if I can only learn to back her up out of my slip without losing my dignity, I'd be happier! ;-)

José

Interestingly, backing up Kefi was not something I ever had trouble with. She handled exactly the way I always expected her to.

The Alberg 29, on the other hand, has more than a mind of her own in reverse. We've figured out that there's a leak in ht hydraulic steering between each side of the ram piston, so what happens is that in reverse, the rudder is pushed over to one side, and no amount of helm will be able to move her. Therefore, on my Alberg 29, reverse = circle. Makes for excitement when heading out or returning.

You're doing fine Jose. I'm still looking forward to a sail on Tessa.