Topic: manual bilge pump

the diaphram on my manual bilge pump has torn and i am trying to find a new diaphram.  the only identification i can find on the pump is on the cockpit side mounting bezel.  the lettering is worn, but appears to be MH inside of a pennant graphic.  does anyone recognize this pump, or have suggestions as to where i might find a new diaphram?

any experiences with the manual bilge pump would also be appreciated.

thanks,

tom

2 (edited by eebygumcaptain 2006-06-21 12:37:27)

Re: manual bilge pump

Hi, this happened to me as well.

The local marine shop was quoting me a fortune for a new replacement kit and I wasn't sure it was the right one. Thinking I might be able to buy a replacement peice of rubber from the local DIY superstore I decided to pop in on my way home......driving there I'm racking my brains as where I might find a suitable product....flexible, strong rubber, 3-4 mm thick, water resistent and able to be cut to shape and cheap....changing gear as I came into the carpark I had a Eureka moment.....my rubber car mats; cost 2 dollars for two, makes enough for sevral diaphragms and in/out flaps.

Works a treat and show no signs of failing despit quite a lot of pumping before I got my cockpit floor sorted out.

Cheers
Andrew

----------
If the memories are better than the dreams then it's all over.....
[url=http://www.contessa26moonshine.me.uk]www.contessa26moonshine.me.uk[/url]

Good day!

If your bilge pump is the same as mine then it is a Henderson Mark V (sometime it is written as Henderson MK V).  It is a black beast mounted on the inside of the port cockpit locker, between the locker and the lazarette.  To do the rebuild the easiest by far is to remove the pump.

I undertook the same project two years ago.  You can still source the rebuild kits for these pumps although it appears that they are out of production.  A caution:  the rebuild kit is fabulously expensive -- comparable to a replacement pump.  However, when I complained about the price at the marine store where I purchased the kit, I was told that the Henderson is a much better pump than anything else. 

The same pump, in white, is used as the prime mover for the Lavac heads btw. 

Having rebuilt mine, it has worked like a charm.  It is well worth the expense and effort in my opinion.

Good luck!

I tried the cheap fix a few years ago on another boat and it worked for a while but ultimately failed.The Whale/henderson diaphrams are formed in such a way that they can be flexed many thousands of times without stressing the seal or itself.The flat home made diaphram is stretched each time the pump is stroked so that eventually something has to give.I was a lot happier with the kit in the pump,my thinking being that when you "need" a pump,you really need it.

My pump went south today on the eve of a big trip.West had a rebuild kit for 22 dollars much to my surprise.This pump is red,Canadian made and called a "guzzler",forget the manafacturer but I think they must be in Windsor.It is comparable to the gulper or urchin by Whale.A bit light duty but it does move a surprising amount of water.

Like others I've seen, my Contessa has a Henderson P7/L Mk III pump, mounted on-center in the lazarette with the handle socket projecting through  a slot in the back of the cockpit.  My understanding after searching the web in vain for spare parts is that this model was also used in British lifeboats.  Regrettably, there seems to be no rebuild kit any more.  I also need to replace the flanged, threaded plastic shaft that passes through the diaphragm because part of the flange broke, not enough to make the pump unusable but enough to be scary.  So it looks like I'll have to replace the whole pump.  Any opinions about the best replacement?  The original indeed looks every bit of a lifeboat pump and I don't care to use anything much lighter duty.  I'd rather not have to fill and re-drill the back of the cockpit, either, but that's probably hoping for too much.

Four years ago I needed rubber parts for my Henderson Mark 3 (or 4). I was told that the only option was to buy the kit to convert from a Mark 3 to a Mark 5. Parts for the Mark 5 are available. The kit has expensive and should only be considered after investigating the purchase of a new pump.  Try Holland Marine in Toronto for parts and conversion kit.

----------

With the nylon diaphragm actuator broken, the diaphragm full of age cracks, and the pump needing conversion before I can rebuild with overpriced parts for another discontinued model -- the writing's on the topsides.  Time for a new pump.  The old one's not Cape Horn bound, unless found fit to pump rum.

What type of replacement pump are you thinking of getting  or would recommend ?

I want to replace my manual pump (might be a Whale)  which is located in the rear port locker and can only be operated with the cockpit open. Not looking for Cape Horn proof but mid Atlantic  and capable of being operated from the cockpit without opening any lockers !

Cheers

----------

Hi, Was the original pump a Henderson MK III P7/L?  Did the new pump fasteners match the holes for the old pump?  I have to repair or replace my existing MK III.  Thanks

Hi, Was the original pump a Henderson MK III P7/L?  Did the new pump fasteners match the holes for the old pump?  I have to repair or replace my existing MK III.  Thanks

I replaced my manual bilge pump as posted above your post.  I never did determine the exact model, but believe the replaced pump was the original Henderson pump.  The Defender kit fit exactly and is still working today.  Good luck, Tom

Thanks again for the information.  All I need is a new diaphragm.