Topic: Anchor / Chain storage

So I'm thinking that building an anchor locker in the little space that I have will be able to hold about 20 feet of chain.  I'd like more than that.  Say about 50.  Us older JJT owners don't have anchor lockers.  So what have all of you that have older boats do when it comes to rode/chain storage?  I like the idea of an anchor locker, but I don't have the room to make one that drains......  If it make it shallow enough, it wont hold enough chain.  Deep enough, it won't drain.....  Ideas?

Re: Anchor / Chain storage

I thought a favorite option when adding a lot of chain was to use a pipe to run it down thru the forward edge of the vee berth below into the storage area.  I think the setup (Haven't actually done one on a Contessa myself) lets it drain straight into the  bilge.

Nobody wanted to spend half the morning shoving the (wet) rode back into the chain locker on my old sea bird yawl so we coiled it down in a milk crate secured to the deck.Wesailed around Vancouver island like this,and it worked well in all kinds of weather.My last boat i made a purpose built box for this and despite burying the bow and a good bit of the trunk cabin on a few occasions it stayed put.Comericial fish boats use a deck mounted reel winch,very secure and heavy.The Contessa is a little dainty for such a homely solution but it works well.Cheers Bill

don't like the idea of draining into the bilge... id like to keep it dry as i can.  still leaning towards  building a small anchor locker in the bow section,  enough for 40 feet of chain or so.....

I agree with Bilgeret.  The simplest solution is to place a small box on the foredeck.  I use only about 10 feet of chain at the moment -- plenty for a small boat in fresh water.  Were I to increase this, I would probably construct a low profile box in teak that could sit on deck.  The shape and location of the box depends on where you are keeping your anchor.

I am thinking ,one possibility is to build a teak grate at toe rail height all the way forward with a low bulkhead aft to contain the rode .Could be a little tight.When you were laying up or crossing an ocean the dryed rode could be stuffed in the chain locker or bought aft.I will be using the milk crate this summer,with hopefully something smarter looking next year.Stefan,sometimes it,s better to revisit a building problem later so it dosen't slow the rest of the project.Good luck

i've got enough side jobs slowing the project... all worth it tho, as i 'm sure now that i wont launch till spring.....  just finished glassing in some wedges in the floor to take the compressive load from the teak posts that weren't but will be thru bolted to the 'beam'.  Anchor chain locker will be next, just something to hold about 30 or 40 feet of chain, thru a hawse pipe.  anchor rode will be dried on deck and stored somewhere else.  yes...... the chain will always be attached to the boat until shackled to the rode....

then its on to paint inside.  inject the cabintop decks, finishing of the topsides, hull fairing and finishing, rebuild engine beds, reinstall engine, paint mast, build a rig.  then i gotta find a dinghy.  there is light at the end of the tunnel..........................