Topic: Mainsail slides

Boy, having a really hard time putting up the mainsail due to slides turning and jamming up.  Have used silicon, sail stuff.  Anyone have this experience and resolution?

Re: Mainsail slides

I had the same problem with my Cape Dory Typhoon.
An article in Practicle Sailor tested several waxes, lubricants, etc. for same problem. Their conclusion was that simply using Turtle Wax auto polish (or any  similar polish, I would guess) on the on the mast  luff gave results. This was also the most cost effective. The results on my Typhoon were excellent.
I will wax my contessa luff before stepping the mast next season (I have yet to launch my co26).

Hi Kristin,

Great solution with the silicone, Turtle wax, etc. but more importantly, make sure that you've uncleated your boomvang before raising the mainsail.  You'd be surprised at how many times people forget to do this or to release the topping lift after the main has been raised.  Hope you're having a great season!   How did you do in your first regatta?

Best regards,

José

Would you believe I came in third???  Crazy.  It was really fun and lasted two days. Since then we came in fourth on the next race.  I love the boat and thank you for the mainsail advice- it will be nice to have it raise easily with just one person.  I will get right on it!

And, also, sounds silly, but make sure you are Completely Into The Wind!!!  I mean, even if the bow blows off two degrees, the sail slides will jam!!    And the bow does blow off quickly on the Co26. 
Also, make sure you pull the sail up Fast....I mean, just eight or ten really good pulls (I didn't even use winch until last few inches) really fast, and the sail should be UP!   (um, yes, go to the gym and get a couple of muscles...helps with the groceries too! ;-)
And always look aloft first to ensure lines aren't twisted.
Lastly, on a windless day, take down the sail and Clean out the track with a brush, silicone it really well, and also....make sure the slides are actually the right size, who knows....they could be the wrong ones....

And Way to Go on the racing!!!!  Yah!

“You get a boat for only one reason, because you want one.  If you’re worried about being practical, forget boats.”

will do!