Topic: New member, new boat

Re: New member, new boat

If the boat is still in Kingston, and you're back and forth between Kingston and Montreal, send me an email and we can get in touch.  I'm working on a project '74 Taylor Contessa and it's currently at Iroquois (just off 401 about an hour before kingston if you're heading westbound) and will be for another month or so.  If you'd like you could stop by and see my Contessa thats mostly stripped, and see some areas of concern.  Just a thought.  Drop me a line. I'm down there mostly every weekend (except for the really rainy days - inside the garage jobs....)

Hello.

I'm based in Montreal and have just joined this group. I am in the process of purchasing a 1973 Contessa 26 from Kinston, Ontario ("Arcane Lady"). After sailing on different boats, much reading and pondering, I'm very keen on owning and nurturing a CO26. It's my first boat and I intend to keep her for a long while (famous last words...). Any brain I can pick about a few questions, things to watch for and/or consider?

Thank you,
Benoit Fleury

yeah i think that's the one.  it's been for sale for a while, havn't ever seen it but i know that it's been for sale for a while.  might be a reason for that....   i'd be bringing a moisture meter if i was going to look at it..........  just my opinion tho.  it's got an outboard, but these boats were (should have been) equipped with some form of inboard.  so repowering it depends on your skill level or wallet depth..... 

might want to check out ebay - theres a guy in peterborough who's a regular here  (swaler or something similar) and he's got his boat for sale............

I'd get any boat checked with a surveyor before I'd buy anyhow also i'm a little confused as to which versions have wooden cores or not..  As well, imho an outboard on these boats just kills the beautiful lines.. Diesel only for me.. I'm not afraid of taking any engine apart.. 
I saw the advert for the boat in peterborough... I'd have to see if I can make a trip out there..   I do have my heart set on the contessa..   I was looking also at tanzer 26's and c&c 25's but the contessa seems to have everything I want in a great lakes boat..

Only ones that don't have a core--for sure--are the UK boats.  I asked
Jeremy Rodgers myself.

Marc

Hey Group,

I just saw this Contessa today at Harbour West in Hamilton stepping its mast and it's the one in the boatforsale.net classified (see below).  The vessel is in bristol shape and it certainly won't last at the asking price.  I'd buy it myself but I just bought my Tessa so good luck and congratulations on the person who buys this one.

Contessa 26 1980
Admired, attractive boat. Very good condition. All new interior cushions, new head, new compass, brass interior fittings, teak cockpit grating, autohelm, steel cradle. Many extras negotiable (including tender).
CDN $12,900
(905) 691-9216 evening
(416) 258-2531 x5564 day

Hope everyone's having a fantastic season.

José

Hi Alan T

I would take the extra 40 minutes and see this one.  I've seen that one at Port Credit which is where I purchased Tessa and the one at Harbour West beats it hands down but then again, it's totally up to you.  Just remember that it's a 1980 as opposed to 1973.  Something to think about anyway.

José

Tks jcfoto.. I'll see if I can squeeze a trip down Hamilton way..  As you noted, it definitively looks like it's a much better boat..    I'm not in a huge rush and can wait till next season before I get more serious but I'm still keeping an eye out for a good deal..

Hey Alan T

Let me know a couple of days prior to you coming.  We could meet up and maybe even go for a sail on Tessa and have  a couple of cold ones afterwards.  Cheers!

José

Don't think that the blue one listed with Pat Sturgeon is actually a 73..... It's got deck drains/scuppers cut into the toe rail.  Same as the 73 on ebay that was actually a 79.  The scuppers were found on later boats, some even had two scuppers..... Don't know when this all got started, but my 74 will throw everyone for a loop now cause now there's 4 scuppers just waiting to get the water off the decks and away from all that new plywood!

Bring/Borrow/Get a hold of a moisture meter and check any boat you look at - all thru deck fitting incl stanchion bases, thru decks for waste and water, and cleats!!!

Hey Stefan,

Wanna share with us how one could possibly divine the actual year of the Contessa in question?  I peeked at where the serial number should've been (starboard stern)but don't actually recall seeing one while I was still docked  at Port Credit.  I'm always amazed how these listings can get the most basic information wrong if you're right.  It's like advertising a particular boat and publishing the "sistership".

Tks for the advice stefan_d.. I see you speak from experience having read some of your other posts regarding having to recore your own boat.. 

Jcfoto.. I'm always up for a good sail especially on such a sweet boat but not sure of my schedule yet or if I can make it down that way.. tks for the offer though!  I still have to convince my "crew" of the need to get this boat ! hehe

Tell her it's a mid life crisis and the choices are the Contessa or the blonde at the A&P. ;-)  Just kidding, of course abut I totally understand the dilemma speaking from experience.  Tessa was a totally unexpected purchase as I was just a Contessa onlooker but something told me that today was the time to buy her.  Good luck and you're welcome anytime.  Hope the "crew" signs on.

José