Topic: Handicaps

Anyone have an accurate handicap for the Contessa 26?

Re: Handicaps

Yes, it kinda sucks backing out of a slip.  Oh you mean a racing handicap?  I belive it's has this :

Rating  (PHRF-LO) : 243

How's the racing, Kristin?

José

All the PHRF ratings for the lake Ontario area (LO) got adjusted this year and the Contessa 26 is now 246.

Thanks for the update, seeadler.

Guffaw, Jose!! 

My handicap/phrf was 301!!!  But, I have not yet used a cruising chute, and all sails were five years or older, so I think that was part of it.    So, I could actually finish in top three even if I came in almost dead last: as one guy said as he tried to ram my boat...."you mean I have to give you 30 minutes?!?!"   I secretly smiled but looked at him dumbly and said "whatever do you mean?  Like I'm going to even finish this race", and that satisfied him, har har, and I came in fourth, just behind him...

“You get a boat for only one reason, because you want one.  If you’re worried about being practical, forget boats.”

Hi Shannon,

There seems to be quite a disparity of ratings in every region of North America so those of you who are in Alaska might have a different racing handicap than those of us in Ontario so maybe we could get a compilation of the different ratings to be posted on this site.

José

p.s. Hey Shannon, maybe a small howitzer (cannon) mounted amidships could've given you a better handicap as well as handicapping any boat that tries to ram you?  Just a thought. ;-)

Heh heh, I liked those cannons in Master and Commander, too! 
What I find is the loud fellows (always lots of red color on those boats, it seems, either the hull, or canvas, or lettering or numbers...strange!) handicap themselves by tripping over all the beer cans they always seem to empty while they are racing, doubling the handicap again!

“You get a boat for only one reason, because you want one.  If you’re worried about being practical, forget boats.”

Racing is non- existant with the monsoons, thought there is one on labor day.   They were giving this only one in Alaska a 252, I think, but would be good to have the standards posted on here!  Thanks!  Shannon, I noticed on one site that an asymetrical, which I have- called a flasher) is higher handicap than a spinaker, but I passed up the boat with spinaker with just a main and jib!! Who said these aren't racers, eh??