Topic: when did they start using lead ballast?

Does anyone know when they went to lead ballast and the extended headroom, or whatever changes they made.   Thank you

Re: when did they start using lead ballast?

Yup, 1983 started the lead, the 2nd hatch, the lower sole and raised coachroof, ETC!!!  ;-)

“You get a boat for only one reason, because you want one.  If you’re worried about being practical, forget boats.”

My 82 has the midship hatch and maybe the lowered sole as the settees are a little higher than ideal;just to maintain the historicial J.J.T.,murkiness.I think it is 18 inches from the bottom of the sole to the top ofthe ballast.I wonder if this depth changed with the ballast type,indicating which boats have which.

My 81 JJT CO26 has a center hatch that looks to have been installed as original equipment (Atkins Hoyle - as are the forward hatch and the midships opening portlights).  It does not have the raised coachroof.   The ice box is on starboard side under the "chart table", while the sink andwater tank are on port side (water tank is under the port settee bunk).   There is also a (seldom used on our boat) color-matched fiberglass insert that fits into the floor hatch in the center cabin floor that gives about 6" additional headroom by the "chart table".

Some builder always messes things up for us know it alls!  (Speaking only for myself, of course! ;-D

“You get a boat for only one reason, because you want one.  If you’re worried about being practical, forget boats.”