Topic: my first view of a Contessa (JJT) 26

Hi all:

This weekend I saw my first Contessa 26 -- I was thinking of getting one -- and would like to share my first impressions and also ask questions.

First, indeed the boat seems closed up inside and this is something one needs to get used to, but also seems very seaworthy. I also realize that it is very tricky to put things inside because of the lack of space. This leads me to the actual issues:
- I found one battery under the cabin sole, right above the bilge; it seems that this is fairly common, but could be put in a better place? Not in the cockpit of course. I thought it might get wet, not enough ventilation, etc.
- The fuel tank is in the starboard copckpit locker. I don't like that, but where can one put it? What I don't like: it takes space from the locker, which could be used for other things, is high up and to one side, etc. Can't it be in the bilge? Or wasn't there originally?
- The wires are through the space underneath the bunks and they are exposed; could stuff stored there catch one and break it, etc.?
- There are wires coming from the mast at the bottom that go to 4 holes through the cabin and they seem exposed; is this common? This is a J.J. Taylor boat built in '84. Is there a better way? Was the boat built this way, or was an owner "customization"?
- Access to the engine seems terrible -- now, please cut me some slack here, it will take me a while to get used to that -- and it is hard to even see it from the front, let alone do some work on it.
- The hatch in the middle is so tiny ;-)
- The boat didn't really have a stove; there was a portable one ;-( Isn't the common installation -- from pictures -- with the stove gimballed on the starboard side, opposite the sink?
- I couldn't jugde the chainplates because they are/seem to be behind the ceiling liner. The wires for the standing rigging seem to be in need of change sometime soon, I bet it's the original rigging.

I know this looks like a long, long list of complaints, but they might be just misconceptions or wrong expectations. Please comment and keep this in perspective.
Thanks a lot.
Neko

Re: my first view of a Contessa (JJT) 26

What have you owned before this ?

Is this your first boat

It's a 20 year old boat - go out and take a look at some more 20 year old boats.  C&C 24's, Mirage 24 & 25's, Grampians, Hullmasters, Albergs etc. EVERYTHING on a boat is a compromise.  Unless you buy a Grampian, you won't find enough room on any boat of this size unless you start looking at something about 35 feet.

It's a long way off from a fatass Hunter or some such.  And it's definately no MacGregor.

Yes, it is my first boat, but I actually know quite a bit about a lot of this but from a theoretical perspective. To give you an example, I could compute your stability curves if you did an incline test to establish your CG and you have a drawing plan, and so on.

And I know about all the compromises. Anyway, pls cut me some slack here, do not take this personally.

I appreciate the answers, but prefer concrete comments; for instance, one may say: "yes, our battery is right above the bilge too but this is not a problem because so and so"; or "we have it in here and it's good/bad/etc."

Hello:

Some answers to your questions - I have a 1980 Contessa.

1  For the battery - I actually have two hooked up under the cabin sole - it works well and they don't take too much space - easy access and they are always dry and never wet - this was the orginal placement for the boat.

2 My fuel tank is also in the Starboard locker, that is also the orginal placement - again it is not ideal but it works well - easy access and while storage space is always a problem, for the cockpit lockers I have founf that I can get all of my stuff where I need to.

3  Wires - I have my wires running through the lockers over the bunks - not under them, I suppose it could cause problems if you are not careful.

4. Wires through the Mast and then through the cabin- as far as I know this is the orginal placement - I have not had any leaks and it works well.

5.  Access to the engine is not ideal, but what access is on a boat of this size, I have found over time you can get used to working around it especially with the cockpit cover off - it takes time but you eventually do figure out the best way to deal with the engine when an issue arises.

6.  Middle Hatch - your lucky - that was an improvement on boats after 1980 - wish I had one ; -)

7.   Stove - I have alsways used a portable alcohol stove stored in the aft locker in the cockpit.  It is a customization to add it to the cabin.  I also have a Force 10 BBQ attached to the aft rail, so all my cooking needs are taken care of - and it has worked well.

8.  After 26 years, my standing rigging is still in decent shape (knock on wood), but of course that depends on the boat.

Cheers.

Ivan Ross
"Morava" 266

Ivan Ross "Morava" #266

Some wires in my boat also run along inside the settee lockers but they are protected by plywood "false bottoms" that the previous owners installed.  They put in lengths of plywood that are raised about two inches or so along the inboard edge thus accomplishing three things: it makes a level area on which to put my storage bins (as long as the boat's level...), it keeps stuff out of the wires, and it keeps stuff out of any condensation that might pool in there.  It works well.

Virtually all boats with a deck stepped mast have wires coming through the cabin roof to feed the steaming light, mast head light, radio antenna etc., that's not specific to the Contessa.  One thing I do to keep the wires neat and out of the way is tape any slack in the wire to the mast, that way I am not likely to catch it with my toe when at the mast and yank one out, or have the genoa sheets do it for me.

As for the rest of it, as you said; all boats are a compromise.   Browse around this forum (hint: read all the entries for a topic, not just the last entries), and you'll get all kinds of ideas about how to trim your Contessa in a way that suits you.  For example, Varuna has her batteries under the companion way steps, and there was a discussion about the possible use of soft fuel tanks, and one about moving head holding tanks.  And pretty well every boat known to man, regardless of the boat, gets tweeked by each owner to suit themselves - that's part of the fun of having a boat.

For the size and design of the boat (low volume, heavy displacement) the Contessa has a lot crammed in it and it's done in a workable way.  If you want to compare apples and oranges, compare the Contessa 26 with a CS 27.  For one foot more length you get twice the interior space, standing headroom, and a good, seaworthy boat that's also a fair bit dryer.  But you'll also gain pounding in rough seas, a lot more windage, a boat that will not keep a course nearly so well, greater risk of broaching... Only time spent in boats will tell you what you want or don't want in a boat.

Thank you guys, especially Ivan and Deb. This was the kind of information I was looking for. But please do not stop here. And judging from the number of views, this might be of interest to other people too.
Once again, thanks.