1 (edited by Peter SC 2006-08-16 09:40:23)

Topic: Reefing line size

I am changing my roller reefing to slab reefing and was wondering what people use for line size at the boom.
Moving the boat to San Diego soon!!

Re: Reefing line size

Our CO26 is set up with 3/8" dia. line for the mainsail leech reef points.

I have 1/4" reefing lines. They have never broken, but I have ripped out some of the boom fittings. Quarter inch line is a bit hard on the hands.

Great , Thanks Guys

Yup, 3/8th for me too.  Fat enough so it doesn't burn through flesh to the bone when reefing in a hurry, but thin enough to wrap three times around mast winch so it gets tightened down hard enough...nothing like watching it bag out when you want it flat...heh heh...can you say knockdown?! :-O

“You get a boat for only one reason, because you want one.  If you’re worried about being practical, forget boats.”

Hi Shannon

You kill me... LOL smile  smile  smile

jose

7 (edited by ShannonRHIANNON 2006-08-23 19:34:06)

I figure sharing the horror is the only fair thing to do! 

"Hey, look at me, I'm putting my mast in the water, can you?!"    or

"Hey, look at me, my halyard is running 100 mph through my jam cleats that aren't! "   And, let's not forget: 

"Oh, hey, did you know the stock Barient winches we are using for the main halyard come apart for servicing all on their own during storms?!"

“You get a boat for only one reason, because you want one.  If you’re worried about being practical, forget boats.”

Question on reefing, I have a post-1983 and have been looking at my boom as it sits on top of my desk today.  This monday I will be actually putting the boat in the water and gtting the rigging up. My boom has a 3-levers system at the gooseneck that press down on the different reefing lines but how does one actually reef, I keep asking myself and where does one tie off the different lines.  I am use to a reef line coming out of the boom back to a cleat on the boom that one pulls down on to tighten the reef line before tieing it off on the boom.  My guess is that I am missing something very simple but would like some hints on understanding the system.
~jklee

I have the same question.  How does one reef the main using this 3-lever set-up?  Can someone give us a play-by-play?  Please?  Thanks.

If it is the Cinkel boom it has three little levers that are clutches.I don't find that they are all that positive locking and the lead is ackward so the reef lines are currently cleated on my boat.That could change in time.My tack is shackled.The reefing line is tied to a screwed in eye below the leech gromets,goes up thru the gromet into the end of the boom and out at the googe neck to be clutched there if you trust them.It is fairly tidy I guess andyou cando most of the reefing operation from the mast.I would imagine there are infinite varations .Whatever works.