Topic: Wood Stoves

After six months or so with my wood stove,I can say it has worked great.I installed it on the starboard side with two drawers and a bin underneath.The stovepipe exits about six inches aft the main bulkhead and about eighteen off center.The stove has a cooktop with sea rail and is front openingThere is four inches air space all round with stainless surround and A quarter inch air space behind.The bulkheads stay cool and the deck head only gets very warm.The boat is toasty and the stove holds a fire all night.The ashes are noticably messy on such a small boat.I discovered last night why stoes are mounted fore and aft where feasable when a round rolled out while feeding the stove and not really paying attention.This can happen with any orientation but is more likely with the athwart ship opening.Some modification is in order.The offending round was kicked into the ash bucket and tossed back inside,all monentarily exciting.I sail yearround here  and heat goes a long way towards making this a pleasure.I love being in a snug anchorage,when theweather clamps down  and I am snug with a good book,hot tea and a roaring fire,highly reccomended.Cheers Bilge

Re: Wood Stoves

I have been thinking about a wood stove for the co26  even before I bought it. I had  wood Eastwood Ho 24 with a Shipmate Skippy. It too was installed with the same orientation as yours. This was  not a prboblem however as I only used it while on the hook or at the mooring.   The wood tove adds another whole dimension to comfart to late season sailing here in New England.
What kind of stove do you have? Let us know.
Also what kind of a deck plate and smoke stack head do you have?
RBPORTER

Hi Bilgeret,

Could you possibly post some pics in the gallery section  of the wood stove aboard your Contessa?

Thanks.

José

I will try to fidgureout how to post pictures,and typically this could take alittle while.The stove is home made,builder unknown,of heavy mild steel.It is a little industrial looking but I like it anyway.The three inch pipe,deckiron and cap are all from Dickinson I believe.The cap comes with a rubber gasket instead of permanent bedding,a great convience for cleaning.The cap is round with an inner top cap,maybe not the best,but the best to fall on,a consideration here.I made a dounot? of glassed plywood to shim the cap verticial on the outside a surprisingly difficult job on this boat but it looks pretty hobo if you don't.The inside was ended up taking quite a while as well,and you maybe learn more than you want to know about these boats,however I haven't seen one I like better.The Contessa is pretty sweet.Bilge

I have to go on port tack to fill the stove.I like winter sailing with the stove going.Everyone always wants to sit in the hatchway.(On my old boats anyway).

Just installed a Fatsco Tiny Tot onboard my Contessa just aft of the ice chest on the starboard side. Cut out the forward portion of the settie to get it low enough to disipate heat well throughout the cabin. I used the dickenson deck fitting as well and while the deck remains cool to the touch I have notice the cabin liner directly above the stove getting uncomfortbaly hot. Did either of you add any heat shielding there on your installs?