Topic: my maiden voyage on Lake Erie

I just got back from my second sailing day with my new Contessa 26 on Lake Erie.  I am still learning how the boat handles but she sails great in the rough seas I have been in so far.  I sailed with only a headsail due to the winds between 15 - 20 knots (gust unknown) and healing between 20-30 degrees in 5-6 foot seas. I used bungee cords to self-steer on a close-reach, though playing a little with the headsail, I could go to beam reach.  On  broad reach to run, I had to take over the tiller.  On using the mailsail,I like a bit calmer day just to get use to it but I might have to bit the bullet soon if I am go to use it this fall before I have her pulled out. The hardest part in my sailing experience is getting in and out of my slip with a strong wind, as I tried 5 times day to get into my slip this afternoon before having to ask for assistance.  I have to think up a way to dock with more guide ropes to help me out and not bang up the boat in the process.  I was lucky to have someone around to help me today.  Doing things solo has its draw backs at times.  Last Saturday, I sailed but it rained most of the time (Seas 3-4 feet, winds 14-15 knots - my guess) I was out but then it stopped when I got back in my slip, Murphy's Law playing with me;-)  Next weekend, I will be out there again enjoying my boat in whatever weather given us.  Just wanted to tell someone I had fun today, thx

Re: my maiden voyage on Lake Erie

Sounds like fun!  Good to hear that these project boats actually make it to the water.  Enjoy the rest of the season!

Wow!  Congratulations John.  I know you've been waiting awhile to get out there.  Sounds like your boat is delivering as much as you'd hoped for.  Suzeh

Glad to see you're finally on the water, John!  If you're going to keep sailing on the Great Lakes this fall in those kind of seas you'd best be practicing reefing that mainsail!  wink

Actually, I had the mail set on 2nd reefing point yesterday but wind was a bit much for me to raise it.  Besides, my 130 pounds at times got thrown around when I just tried to tack and unwinch/winch in the headsail sheets!  Anyway, I have figured out the reefing process but it is unreefing with the three lever system at goose neck that catches as I try to pull the rope back through.