Topic: Fixing spider cracks in gelcoat

It's generally called crazing and quite common in boats prior to the 1980s.  There isn't much that you can do about it.  Some have ground them out with a Dremel tool and filled them with polyester and  gelcoat only to have them return.  It's the nature of the beast where relatively brittle gelcoat lays over a flexible FRP base.  The ones around stanchion bases could be due to flexing and may be helped by adding strong backing plates. Keeping the areas waxed is the common way of keeping moisture out.

Re: Fixing spider cracks in gelcoat

If you have cracks of any kind around a stanchion: use that as another excuse to re-bed that stanchion...1/2 of mine have been rebedded, and the ones that haven't: I can tell they leak because of the rusted bolts and wetness around base of the nuts (yes, contorting arms and using mirrors and lights is a fine art!) ...and water and leaks and cracks are not good for anybody or anything!

I have the fine spidery cracks in some of the gelcoat around stanchions and a couple of other places on the deck.  This is called "checking" if it's on a guitar's finish, I don't know if it has a name on boats. 

I want to do two things: 1) fill the cracks becuase I'm worried about water and freeze/thaw cycles  2) make it the same colour as the existing gelcoat.  Any recommendations?

I have not had any experience with this product, but I understand that it works quite well on crazing. It is called "Capt Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure".  I believe you can find it online. Friends that have used it swear by it!

Good Luck
Chris