Topic: Cap Rail leak

I have traced a deckside leak to my port cap rail, right where the wood ends and the track starts.
The former owner caulked where these rails meet the deck. I was wondering if anyone has taken these rails and caps off to caulk under them? Are they installed with woodscrews? I cannot see the bottom from the inside of the boat.
Thanks
Peter

PS This is my last leak, then its launch time...

Re: Cap Rail leak

The cap rails are installed with wood screws.  They're just screwed into the hull deck joint.  If you get a 3/8" forstner bit, you'll be able to remove the plugs in the rail and gain access to the screw heads.  I'd probably (did) remove the rails all together, countersink the screw holes and fill with epoxy and filler.  I still have to redrill and then reinstall the rails- sealing the screw holes with Sikaflex - its not as permanent as 5200...  Might want to make sure that it's not the track thats leaking.......

Thanks Stefan, I suspect the track, but the caps dont look so good and are loose. Are the tracks also screwed on with wood screws?

If the caps are loose then I'd start there - it's a far easier job.  The genoa tracks are held on with machine screws and nutz and washerz on the bottom.  It's quite a job to replace these - you're working blind behind the edge of the headliner and its hard on the fingers.....

Ouch I am not looking forward to that, I'll take the caps off first,
Thanks

To Peter SC,

Some of the boats (as in my '78) used SS machine screws and nuts to hold the rubbing strake on. Not sure why this is; could be that some boats were treated differently on a custom basis. Oddly enough, Renaissance was built with only one quarterberth, so it appears that there will be differences in fastenings, layout, and possibly fittings, as well. Go easy on the plugs until you are sure of what's underneath!

Murphy was an optimist........

8 (edited by Peter SC 2006-09-26 13:51:03)

Thanks Guys, I took the cap off and they were woodscrews, the first 4 were too loose and no caulk was ever used here, I used oversize screws and caulk to see if it fixes thye problem before I will refiberglass the old holes and figure out a way to get it on without drilling holes, I hate holes , have way too many in the deck.
Thanks for your input.
That Capt Tolly stuff looks good.

The Capt Tolley stuff works ok for a while - my dad's neighbor at the boat used it to seal up the space shuttle windows on his Oceanis 350.  After a while tho, leaks were back.  Only way to do it is to do it right.  My Dad's not looking forward to when his windows on his 350 start leaking....

Captain Tolley is called Captain Jacks in the UK, I used it a year ago on my other boat, and can confirm that it does fail after a while, possibly because the cracks continue to spread a little and so need further applications.  Also I found that where some sat on the gelcoat, (that I forgot to wipe off), after a season in the sun it has turned grey and spoils the finish of the deck.

That's funny. I've been using Captain Tolley's creeping crack cure for a fair number of years and I've never heard of Captain Jacks. I am most definately UK based. Its NOT a cure-all as it needs a fairly fine crack to do its stuff and you DONT want spills of it sitting around as it attracts dirt but it has a permanent place on board as it is a great 'quick fix' that will get you through the season till you can fix the leak that was dripping on your bunk / chart table / locker of kit properly without giving up sailing time.  Yeah, you may need to add a little more after a couple of months, but that still better than raindrops falling on your face . . .

As to loose cap rails etc., I am not looking forward to dealing with them as realistically, about 50% of our ones need replacement, not just rebedding :-(  If anyone has tackled this on an early J. Rodgers boat, I'd appreciate hearing about any surprises and cautions.