Topic: Jib halyard length

Anyone have a measurement for the length of the jib halyards, please?  Thanks alot

2 (edited by JXG 2006-05-25 07:02:34)

Re: Jib halyard length

I just replaced two of the foresail halyards on my 1981 JJT CO26 and bought 90ft of 7/16" for each one.  These run through turning blocks at the base of the mast to line clutches on the cabin top on each side of the companionway hump.   This also makes them long enough to use for lifting something from the water to the foredeck, when necessary.

Thank you so much!!  Just in time, on my way to the store!  Kristin

Question, why are there 3 jib sheet lines on Contessa 26?  1 - head sail, 1- spinnaker and 1 - ?  Does anyone use the other two sheets besides the head sail?  I have no thoughts on using a spinnaker. I am replacing all my lines this next season as my were all moldy when I got the boat this summer.  I was wondering if there is any reason for buying 2 more jibs sheet lines, as I got one for the head sail already.  If they are needed, should they be 3/8" or can they they be small diameter and why?  If not needed, does one need to keep the clutch for that side of the boat? thanks, jklee

5 (edited by Bill NH 2006-10-11 07:35:43)

If you want to fly two headsails simultaneously (winged out downwind) you need two jib halyards, even if they're hanked onto the same stay.  People also often like a spare rigged when sailing offshore. 

The third is a spinnaker halyard, and is different from the other two in that the spinnaker block at the masthead is ABOVE the forestay.  This is so the halyard doesn't chafe on the forestay when flying a spinnaker.  Even if you have an asymmetrical cruising chute (a great, easy to handle sail as compared to the symmetrical spinnaker that needs a pole etc) you'll still need a spinnaker halyard rig instead of a jib halyard.  Otherwise you'll end up sailing over your chute when the halyard chafes through...

You can certainly get by with just one jib halyard as long as you know its limitations.

(I assume you were referring to the halyards and not the sheets...)

I said sheets, didn't I.  Yes, extra halyards.  It was a long weekend and first day back at work. Only today have I recovered from all the fun.  Thanks for the info, Bill.