Topic: Teak treatment

I read somewhere on the net about a new european type of teak treatment that lasts for years. For the life of me I cannot find any reference to it now. Anybody else read about it?

Re: Teak treatment

I am answering my own question, it is called Coelan and according to the Europeans I've read that have used it, (made in Germany) it is great stuff. Anyway I'll be trying it, have some on order. It does'nt have to be that good to be better than Cetol, and I'm scared of the work involved with varnish.

The coelan has worked great, it looks like varnish but is much tougher. Now we'll see how it likes the South Texas sun.

Thanks for answering that question.  I'll be refinishing the wood trim on Virago next summer and will give that product a try, providing I can get some!  You are right to be afraid of varnish.

A local varnish expert says that temperature variations here in Halifax make it very difficult to do a succesful varnish job.  My nine-coat, follow boat works mag instructions to the letter, took all precautions, tiller varnish job lasted two seasons.  Is Coelan any less sensitive?  I like cetol because it's so forgiving.

You need to stay on top of varnish:a coat in the spring and a coat in the fall,touch-ups on wear spots.Varnish is fairly hard.It can fail at funky or stressed joints.I am still using it.