Topic: backing plates for deck hardware

I am planning of removing all my deck hardware so can either paint or compound the deck and rebed all. I would like to install backing plates for as much of the harware as possible. I removed the base of the lifline stanchion and heard the nuts slide down the bilge between the hull and the liner. I am not sure how I am going to reattach the the stanchion bases never mind reinstall with a backing plate. I can not reach the underside of the deck under the stanchion bases. Please...share you experience and or thoughts....thanx

Re: backing plates for deck hardware

I have pulled my stanchions and, while reaching some of the bolts is a challenge worthy of a circus contortionist, I was able to reinstall the nuts.  On my 1976, there are factory-installed plywood backing plates on each stanchion base.  Your boat probably has the same.  Was there a particular stanchion where you lost the nuts?

Reinstalling the stanchions is a two-person job.  You will need to turn the nuts while someone holds the bolt heads on deck.

Re: backing plates for deck hardware

I rebedded 2 of them on my 74 , and added a backing plate, they were just bolted all the way through the liner, upon fastening it did create a stress crack in the liner underside. Are you talking about the ones aft where you have to go into the lockers? Mine has 2 circular access hatches (about 5 inches diameter) to get to those.