Topic: Thickness of forestay for Atlantic, 6 or 7mm

Hi, I've had my mast taken down this winter for inspection and some updating (blocks and small bit taken off the base where corroded) and I'm looking to replace all the standing rigging as it's 13 years old. The rotostay roller furling which looks orginal I'm thinking of replacing at the same time as I don't think it will be up to the JC in 2010.

I have the option on a nearly new Furlex 200S roller furler, twin groove with a 7mm forestay (it does not take smaller) at an excellent price; do you think going from 6mm to 7mm on the forestay is too much or would affect the sailing performance considerably ?

Thanks in advance

Andrew

----------
If the memories are better than the dreams then it's all over.....
[url=http://www.contessa26moonshine.me.uk]www.contessa26moonshine.me.uk[/url]

Re: Thickness of forestay for Atlantic, 6 or 7mm

I think that it will not change the sailing performance at all.  All you will be adding is a little bit of weight.  Maybe put some gear in the cockpit to further ballance the boat but the weight addition I feel is minimal and wont change a thing.  Cheers, Chris

Correct me if I'm wrong but couldn't you just balance the  7mm forestay with a 7mm backstay for both weight and rigidity?  I'm not sure about standing rigging nomenclature but this way  makes sense to me.

José

p.s. Hey Andrew, I saw your clip on youtube.com.  Great movie!

I have 8mm on all my standing rigging... 7mm is for sure going in the right direction... I would make them all the same...

jose

Remember that your rig is only as strong as it's weakest component.  If you increase the diameter on your standing rigging, make sure you thoroughly inspect the chainplates and the chainplate bolts.  If they're questionable (as many are on older boats) your rigging upsize may not increase your rig strength at all...

----------
If the memories are better than the dreams then it's all over.....
[url=http://www.contessa26moonshine.me.uk]www.contessa26moonshine.me.uk[/url]

Andrew,

Loved them both and I gave you  full stars on both.  I suspect I'll be visiting youtube.com quite a bit to get my fix of sailing videos like yours until I get back on the water in April.  Sigh......winter just arrived in Ontario and it's bloody cold!!!

Cheers, mate!

José