Topic: Keel Plug and Blue Exhaust from Engine

Well - I pulled Morava out of the water yesterday, and I can't get the keel plug undone - It has never been a problem before, but I can't even budge the brass plug.  Any ideas on how to remove it - I was thinking perhaps I need to warm it up - but not sure if that makes any sense?

Also, in earlier posts, a couple of us had noticed that blue exhaust was coming from the engine - I have a Farryman and change the oil every year, the engine itself only gets about 10 hours of running time a year, being on the Ottawa River it doesn't take a lot - but I am taking the boat back down to Kingston where we orginally had her so therefore a lot more engine use - any ideas as to what the blue exhaust could be a sign of?

Thanks.

Ivan Ross
"Morava" #266

Ivan Ross "Morava" #266

Re: Keel Plug and Blue Exhaust from Engine

Try penetrating oil on the threads, letting it soak in for a week or so.  Then GENTLY tap on the plug to break it free before turning it.  Save heat as a last resort if at all.

Hi Ivan,

Blue smoke means that you're burning oil and not burning fuel too efficiently which means that your Farymann probably needs a new set of rings (around $ 200.00 from Germany).  While you're at it, have your valves serviced and just do a general tune-up/maintenance.  Check the cylinder also for pitting which may also account for the oil getting past the rings.  Just out of curiosity, when was the last time anybody took a peek inside?  Let me know if I can help you further.  Morava looks great in the gallery section.

Cheers,

José

p.s. I'm having the same trouble with my keel plug and I did what Bill suggested a few weeks ago.  Now, if I could just free up enough time to complete my winterizing......

Thanks Jose - I plan to take a very close look at the engine in the spirng.  As long as I have had the boat back (fall 2003) - I have not opened up the engine - I must admit that I am intimidated but it will have to be done.  Thanks for the advice, I will examine the rings and look at the valves.  My whole conception of the engine will have to change as all I needed it for was to get Morava out of the Marina in five minutes and then I was generally sailing.  Next year, which I am looking forward to, I will put Morava back in Lake Ontario at Kingston. So I am anticipating a hec of a lot more use.  Interesting to note that after reading my dad's logs books he had some of the same issues with the engine - even when it was brand new. 

As for the keel plug, I finally manged to get it off, I bought a very big wrench so I could apply the proper torque -the plug is not stripped so it was perplexing as to why it was so hard to get off this year.

Thanks for the compliments on the pictures.

Cheers.

Ivan Ross "Morava" #266

Ivan Ross "Morava" #266

Hi Ivan,

Yeah, you probably need to run the engine a hell of a lot more (under load and not just idling.  You'll glaze the cylinder.) than the five minutes there and back.  Perhaps it was never really broken in when it was brand new and the problem just became worse over time.  Diesels love to work and the under use does it more damage than good.   If it is glazing that's causing the problem then you would have to get your cylinder honed to get that cross hatching which enables the rings to seat properly but I would get new rings just to get a brand new start.  Remember to break it in slowly and use more than the five minutes there and back and not at excessively high rpms.  Our hull speed may peak at 6 kts. so power above and beyond the required speed may just be foolish adverse conditions notwithstanding.

Here's the contact for your piston rings.  E-mail him and he'll tell you which distributor you'd be working with in your area. 

sales@prp-inc.com (Ralph Martino)

I'll be cruising to the thousand islands area this summer so I may see you around.  I'll let you know when and maybe we could arrange something. 

José

Thanks for the contact and for the advice.  I will look into it further and I keep in touch if your are in the Thousand Islands.  Morava will be docked at Collins Bay Marina just west of Kingston.

Cheers.

Ivan Ross "Morava" #266

Ivan Ross "Morava" #266