Topic: Eltical Use

I have a very obvious question (I think)

Morava is all closed up for the winter, but in the spring I am moving her down to Kingston at Collins Bay and they have electricity at the docks 15amp or 30 amp.

What do I need?  Everything is original so I am assuming it is 15amp.  Does it matter (it must).

Cheers.

Ivan Ross "Morava" #266

Ivan Ross "Morava" #266

Re: Eltical Use

Hi Ivan,

It really depends what you're trying to run with the electricty while in your slip.  Figure out your average amperage needs and go from there.  Would you be running a battery charger while cooking with your hybrid electric/alcohol stove(both burners) while at the same time using your disc sander?  If your answer is yes then you probably need a 30 amp line.  If you're like me and only use the power sporadically for specific tasks then 15 amps is more than enough.  Hope this helps.

José

Thanks Jose:

I just need it to run cabin lights, Cd player and perhaps lap top - no cooking though - so 15 amp should be enough right - or is that already to much "stuff" on a 15 amp circut?

IR

Ivan Ross "Morava" #266

Yeah, that's more than enough.

José

A small heads-up.  If your "everything is original" is a reference to the 110v wiring system aboard your Contessa, you may have little choice as to which current you choose.  On my Contessa, the deck connectors are all 30 amp but the 30 year old wiring is dodgy at best and is not of a particularly heavy guage.  I would not put more than 15 amps through it for fear of fire.  Of course, if you are only running a laptop and a few lights it won't be an issue since you will never draw that much power. 

I assume that you will be charged a higher rate for the 30 amp connection.  Fifteen amperes is fine for what you have in mind and is even enough to boil a kettle.

And yes, replacement of the old wire is on my 'to do' list.

Thanks for the input - I have to check the wiring - but very good point about potential for fire  - so 15 amp it is and yes they do charge more for the 30 amp - so anywhere I can save some money - in the end all I really want it for is to ensure I have lights working in the boat at night instead of the old kerosene lamps that I grew up with.

Cheers.

IR

Ivan Ross "Morava" #266