Topic: What's up with these chainplates?

Seems to me a silly concept, to just cut a bunch of holes in the deck and hope they don't leak or that the coring doesn't rot. But they're 'fixed' for now. We may move them to the hull as others have done but not today! We're just happy the torrent of water has stopped! :-)

LaDonna & Rob

Check out our progress on 'Tess' at [url]http://contessa26.wordpress.com/[/url]

Re: What's up with these chainplates?

What you can do (what I ended up doing because I don't want to replace the deck again...) is:  cut the slots for the chainplates to pass thru the deck.  Open them up about 3/16 bigger than they need to be all around  Get some forming tape - any  thick plastic tape will work that's not too sticky and tape up the bottom side of the hole - from the inside of the boat.  Mix up some West or Epiglass or epoxy of you choice, mix up with some high density filler and silica to thicken it up, and fill the "hole" from the top.  Sand down any proud points after its all cured, and then re-cut the slots for the chainplates.   Now, if any water gets past where you've filled the gap with sealant, the water will just run into the boat, and not into your coring.