Topic: What's YOUR favorite bedding compound?

The PO seemed to be in love with silicone. That is some hateful stuff! We use 3M 4000 for just about everything above the waterline. It cures quickly, is relatively easy to remove (and doesn't take gelcoat with it, like 5200), stays flexible and watertight, and has a UV protectant in it that 4200 doesn't have. What's your favorite?

LaDonna & Rob

Check out our progress on 'Tess' at [url]http://contessa26.wordpress.com/[/url]

Re: What's YOUR favorite bedding compound?

I actually was forced to *buy* and *use* silicone sealant this year :-(
Unfortunately I needed to reseal the astrodome and if you are sealing acrylic plastic, you CANNOT use any sealent that has any solvents in the formula or it will craze your plastic. Silicone is the official reccomendation  Bloody horrible stuff to work with if you want a neat finish, and getting the suface prep good enough so it actually sticks properly is a bitch.

Generally speaking  I like a good butyl (rubber) mastic or a polysulfide sealent for above waterline stuff.  I used to be able to buy a butyl mastic called Farocalk.  Unfortunately the company went under and you can no longer get it. Might have something to do with it having a useable shelf life of about ten years and several years after opening.  Fortunately there are alternative brands but they dont sell it in the retail marine marketplace

Most of the modern sealents are only useable for a few months after opening however carefully you re-seal the tube and even if you keep them in a ziploc bag in the fridge with a sachet of silica gel.  If you just put the cap back or plug the nozzle, it will set in the tube and you'll be lucky if you find any thats still useable a month later even if you rip the bottom out. 

Under the water this year I've been using one of the multitude of Sikaflex products.  I probably haven't chosen the best one for the job, but the need to 'git er done' and local avalibility wone out.

Remember they dont call it 'silly-con' sealent for nothing . . . .

Here's a tip on sealing sealant: I always wear rubber gloves when working with the stuff (I'm a girl) and at the end I just unroll one glove while holding a finger over the nozzle - you end up with the nozzle in one of the glove fingers. Tightly tape around the nozzle about 1/4-1/2" from the tip, then squeeze goo out till the glove tip balloons up. The stuff in the glove hardens but acts as an air tight plug. We've used this technique for awhile and still get gooey goo a month or more later.

Sorry to hear about your forced silly-con usage!

LaDonna

LaDonna & Rob

I have been using butyl lately and have been very pleased.  The stuff is a pleasure to work with, especially because one is not time limited.  That is, butyl never 'sets' which means plenty of time for fitting and adjusting and tightening

So far I have done portlights and stanchion bases with it with success. 

Christopher

Was thinking of good ol' 5200....but you guys are getting me thinking.

Wonder if you all would earnestly  suggest I move away from it?

I would most earnestly urge you away from 5200 for anything above the waterline. It's great for many purposes (say, thru-hulls) but for bedding a handrail or hardware, it's a nightmare. All bedding compound will eventually fail. Nature of the beast. 5200 WILL take gelcoat with it - I know from painful experience. There are products you can put on it that will soften it but why not just use 4200 or better yet 4000 for topside stuff? It's made for that purpose and much easier to remove when necessary. There's not much difference between the two except that 4000 is a newer product and has UV protectant in it so it doesn't turn yellow. My two cents...

BTW, I do know a few people who've used butyl rubber to bed portlights with some success. It never gets hard but they had problems with it oozing in hot weather. You can buy it at motorhome supply stores.

LaDonna & Rob

Contessa 26 #158
Sun Wave
Montreal QC

I like 291 Sika for almost everything.On wood boats I have bedded decks,deckbeams,rails of all sort,laid deck seams ,and hardware.It needs a primer with oily wood.I have had hit and miss results beddind oak but still use it.Cleans up with methyl hydrate but retards the drying if you use a lot.It is tenacious but with patience and an exacto knife most things can be removed again.The company has specific products for different things but I like that one.Don't wear something you like within ten feet of that stuff once it is open.Have to try the glove idea.