Topic: Vire 7 HP twostroke

My Baboonity is still equipped with this finnish miracle. The other day I went sailing with a couple of people and the disaster of the day was an empty battery.
Result: couldn't start.
The engine started running however after a few pulls with the starting cord.

Anyone else experience with this oldtime engine.

Like: do you ever do anything like maintenance?

regards, B.

In het oerwoud deden we niet anders!

Re: Vire 7 HP twostroke

"finnish miracle" is certainly a term for it...

I also have a Vire (Vire BVR), say what you will, it runs like a champ!  I do regular maintenance (oil, plug) but over the last winter I replaced all the ignition parts, new carb kit, and made a new head gasket for it....now it starts everytime no problems.  I do find that if I don't make it up to the boat (a 3 hour car drive for me) for a couple weeks, it takes about 15 seconds to start....but I spent two straight weeks on the boat this year, and the Vire started everytime with a quick turn of the key, and no choke.  At 6.5hp, it will push the contessa at 5.5 knots in flat calm, even in big winds it still pushes it pretty good.  Not bad for an engine built in 1971!

Oil?

Where does the oil go in, I mean, apart from mixed with the fuel?

In het oerwoud deden we niet anders!

The Vire takes a small amount of gear oil for the transmission.
My Vire is maintenance intensive at the start of the season then runs strong. New starter/generator and voltage regulator this year.

I have had fun with my Vire 7 this year, (my first season) started off fine. Continued to stall, always at the wrong time. Went through new points, condenser, coil, carb., finally found out timing was way off. My guess was that the alignment plate was loose and shifting. Almost got to the point of repowering in diesel, reluctantly, as
I have an aversion to the smell.

Now I have about a month of sailing left to make up for lost time !

She sounds great and runs like a charm. Except for that gear oil that turns a cloudy yellow colour, hopefully that can wait until she is hauled out in the winter.

I have that problem to.  I've read that the seal in the waterpump is notorious for leaking into the transmission, I always shut my water off when the engine isn't in use.