Topic: new pictures

well cause i didn't meet up at the boat show i put some new pictures up online.  for some reason it uploaded 3 of each, i'll have to figure this out tomorrow.  check out some swanky new engine beds, compression posts, deck drains, bulkhead patterns, and some nav lites (installed in accordance with Canadian collision regulations, of course....)  cheers all!

--Stef

Re: new pictures

On my Contessa I see a line in the gellcoat running down the back end of the keel and on the bottom of the keel towards the stern end.  Is this because the boat was built in two pieces and then glassed together?  Also I removed the guard wich prevents line from getting caught between rudder and keel.  The gell coat/glass in this area,holding the fasteners, was piss poor.  Does anyone know the thikness of the glass on the back end of the bottom of the keel?  I have bounced off of a few sand bars and am curious to know the thickness.  I have a 79'.

I have a 76. I install a line guard between the keel and the rudder. When I drilled a hole up from the bottom of the keel about 3 inches forward of the aft end, the glass was only about 1/4 inch thick. I was very surprised. The glass on the starboard galley counter top and front face was almost twice as thick.

this parting line is where the mold halves were joined.  the quality of the glasswork in the deep recesses of the bilge and transom leave a bit to be desired - i reworked the entire area surrounding the stern tube (pics), and re glassed the area from the ballast back.  it was all lumpy, so i stood on my head and used a die grinder to smooth the slop out and glassed the hell out of it.

it's all sloppy because the bilge is so deep - either they reached down from the top with squeegees or rollers, etc to lay up, or more likely had the molds on a rotisserie and reached in.   either way, this is an area thats hard to reach now as it was then.

Yeah that whole dead wood area in the back of the keel is always on my mind.  There is a drip pan for the diesel glassed in preventing good access to the abyss.  I will cut that away in order to gain access enough to glass.  It is a very important part of any boat and should be as beefy as possible.  I often have thought that the area was a huge vulnerable void that maybe should have been sealed or filled.