Topic: Access and repair of holding tank leak

Hey all,

New to the forum - just welcomed 1984 JJT hull 313 into our family this past weekend.  Very much enjoying reading all the great mods and tips you all have come up with.  The list for winter is growing day by day.

Looking for advice - the holding tank leaks into the bilge!  Don't expect to use the thing (more inclined towards the bucket crowd), but it just bugs me.  Cannot seem to get good access to get at the leak and wondering if anyone out there has any experience in accessing / repairing leaks in the tank.

Cheers

Tom

Re: Access and repair of holding tank leak

ok...after closely looking at the problem, my reaction is....yuck.  Geting over that, I am now seriously considering ripping out the whole mess (head, hoses, holding tank) and replacing it with a Thetford porta-potti.  Benefits seem to be 1) ease of access, care, and maintenance, 2) recovery of some lost storage behind head and under v-berth where the hoses reside and under cabin sole where holding tank is, 3) longer term - reduction of holes in the boat by 2.  Besides, it much more closely mirrors, but is an improvement over, what I do now...rely on the bucket.

Anyone do this or have any feedback for or against?

3 (edited by Ian Malcolm 2007-01-18 12:17:39)

You obviously haven't met the head that leaked into the water tank.  A little bit of crap in the bilge is *nothing* compared to a little bit of crap in the kettle!

*YUCK*  ( :-@)===#

P.S. Portapotties are *not* knockdown friendly and you cant get loo-blue out of the headlining :-(

You could remove the tank and replace it with a flexible bladder tank. That way you fix the leaking, get some storage when tank is not full and can still keep up the appearance of being civilized by having a head. I admit I use the bucket method away from land to avoid spillage.

I would consider putting an access port in to allow repairing the tank ,then close it up,keeping it as a collision bulkhead.I am leaving mine in place.Don't envy you that job,yeech.

Well If I had *that* job to do, I'd cut a small hole and pressure wash it after pumping it out with the pumpout still running.  Then temporily plug the hole, (putty, some plastic board and self-tappers) fill with disinfectant and soak a couple of days.  After a rinse or two, it shouldn't be too nasty to work on so cut a decent sized access hatch (sized for a commercially available tank access port), then get on with it.  When its all done and tested for watertightness, fit a test tap at the lowest point of the tank then fit a bladder inside it.  Alternatively, cut the whole top off and fit a rotomolded plastic tank in the space.

Still got the 'Typhoid Mary' water tank to fix, been working out of a bladder all season. At least *MY* tank is pretty clean at the moment.

Ian....I have been blessing my lucky stars for my wonderful leaking holding tank since reading your post of late last week.  Your situation makes mine look like a dream.

My no-name-yet hull 313 is a 1984, with the holding tank in amidships under the cabin sole.  I think many more have their holding tank up under the v-berth, thus the suggestions for conversion to a bulkhead - good idea though.  I think Ian's words of wisdom may be the way to go, and the steps laid out permit me to punt at anytime and go with storage, porta-potti or whatever fork looks best at the time.  Thanks all for your ideas and kind words.  You all are a great crew.

Tom