Topic: Book reviewing

Is there any interest in posting a list of marine titles of interest to Contessa owners.They could be postedwith a brief review,say a couple of lines,by whomever has read them.There is a wealth of information available that some newer boat owners might not have run across,and I would think even the shellbacks have missed the odd book.

Re: Book reviewing

That is a grand idea!  Much of what I know about boats and boating has come from some well-thumbed copies of favourites (and yes, Letcher's book is on the list for my next order from the Nautical Mind).  Not all of it comes from text books either, some accounts of voyages provide excellent tips and insights into everything from seamanship to the psychology.  Posting book titles and reviews would allow us (well, me anyway) the great pleasure of snooping through other peoples' libraries for those titles yet unknown.

----------
If the memories are better than the dreams then it's all over.....
[url=http://www.contessa26moonshine.me.uk]www.contessa26moonshine.me.uk[/url]

correct, sorry.....

Bilge, where you thinking of a list starting here and now, or lobbing the idea to Adrian to see if he'd start a new topic heading?  As for the content, I have no problem finding books - ordering or foraging like eebygumcaptain - but it's is nice to get recommendations from reader.  Perhaps if we go for recommendations with a suggestion of where to find it if the book is not common.  Not meaning to take over your idea here....

9 (edited by Virago Deb 2007-03-22 13:02:37)

I'll be disappearing again soon, so here's my suggestion:  For new and shellbacks alike, cruise your local used book store for a copy of "Boating in Canada" by Garth Griffiths.  It was published back in the late sixties and was the text used by the Canadian Power Squadrons for all their courses right through to the eighties I think.  It covers piloting, hull construction and basic stability theory (centre of gravity, righting arm, buoyancy etc), boat handling, rope work, tides and currents, the physics of waves and the basics of weather - the whole kit and kaboodle.  Some of it is dated but it is still a good general reference.  It also encourages good seamanship - something many recreational boaters lack these days.  It is a large format book but not thick, and the cover without the dust jacket is bright red, so it's not hard to spot.  I've seen copies in used book stores, rummage sales etc. - they're not rare and they're not expensive.

Another useful book that you might find used is called "The Handbook for Non-Macho Sailors" by Katy Burke.  It offeres some good ideas on how to do things using your smarts if you can't rely on brute force and ignorance.  Also has some good logistical and safety tips for living in, and working on, a small cruising boat (the author cruises in a Flicka 24). A good reference for new sailors, but I still find it handy as a single-hander (a single hander who is over 40...)

Yeah I am thinking of a new topic heading,as there are many titles out there ,but some are gems.For the "online challenged"such as myself,it's cool to come to one place and find what I need.Anyway ,it;s tossed out there if someone wants to run with it.I will throw out a title here for machos and scaredy cats alike,the Storm Tactics Handbook by Lynn and Larry Pardy,usefull to anyone that might run into some real wind at some point.This book has given me some needed focus in dealing with higher wind and sea's,and definetly more confidence,which comes of having a plan and practicing it.