Topic: Charts - paper vs electronic (and then what kind of electronic charts)

Okay - so I am new at this game.  Sailing on the Ottawa River - all I have ever needed was one chart and that of course was the kind I could fold seven different ways. And after sailing on the Ottawa for more than a year, you don’t even need that - even when I ran aground and sheepishly dug the chart out, the hazzard was not marked.

However, as I take the boat back down to Kingston this summer, I have to get new charts - so do I invest in the paper ones or go the whole hog and get a laptop, GPS and by the software?  I do plan/dream to do some cruising of the great lakes and perhaps further afield at a later date.

If I go for the electronic kind, is there anything people recommend for Lake Ontario and the St. Lawrence?

Ivanross “Morava” #266

Ivan Ross "Morava" #266

Re: Charts - paper vs electronic (and then what kind of electronic charts)

I have a garmin chart of lake ontario on my handheld GPS, but I also have a Richardson's book of paper charts.

The GPS one is handy, but really, the book is fairly close to perfect for use on a small boat. I am sure if I were going further abroad I would look at electronic charts with paper backups.

I use Fugawi Software and NDI charts, very helpfull and easy to work with. I match the software and NDI charts with an old GPS Garmin 76 and it works great.

I am still using charts dating back to the 1930's,so you can guess what I consider long term value.If I was entering a Delta or major port I would likely have a more up to date chart and of course the sailing directions.

Hi Ivan,

As much as I love using my Garmin handheld, I still plot on a paper chart using traditional navigation and I check it with both the GPS and an updated paper chart.  Underline updated twice!! ;-)  Try not to rely on one system alone.

Cheers!

José

P.S. Fifty five more days until splashdown!  Now,....where did I put that "to do" list?