Topic: Windvane for a Contessa 26

Re: Windvane for a Contessa 26

I have a Cape Horn windvane made by the famous circumnavigator Yves Gelinas. It works flawlessly and it steered 400 miles non-stop across the Gulf of St. Lawrence. Highly recommended, and made by a guy that sailed alone, non-stop around the world.

Like Christian I use a Cape Horn. I installed it in 1998 and have no regrets. It's one of the very few types of windvane that work well in light airs when going downwind smile

The monitor website does have at least four Contessa 26s showing the Monitor.  BJ Caldwell had a  used one.  I personally would likely chose a Monitor, as it's proven for a Co26.  However, if another manufacturer also had Co26...it would be another comparison project before I bought one. And I do want one, am leaning to Monitor...but not for another year or so at least....am still paying for engine rebuild...OUCH!

<font face="Arial"></font id="Arial">Christian and NigeCh - how are your Cape Horns mounted? In the centre of the transom or off to one side of the rudder? If centred -- what have you done about a boarding ladder?

wbr<font face="Arial"></font id="Arial">

Does anyone have experience with a trimtab system? I am thinking it would not be hard to combine auto-pilot and windvane to control the same rudder trimtab.

I'm a dope, I put this question under modifications, etc...forgetting there was this thread, sooooo.......

What would be everyone's pick for a windvane for their Contessa 26? I know Monitors are proven, but seem quite big and over sized?
I have seen the Walter Murray "build it yourself" site, and even though I have belief in my abilities, I know nature doesn't....
The Cape Horn is tidy for non-transom-hung rudder, but at least on the 26, (with the outboard rudder, hence the brackets needed) the Cape Horn is better proportioned, it too is proven (Jean du Sud) and they have installed one on a Co26, so no problem there.
The Navik is being discontinued, but still avail through ScanMar, who also sell the Monitor. Navik is cheaper, but one has to fabricate own mounting system - so might as well buy one already set up to install, in my case anyways. Sailomat is another option...
However, a tidy trim-tab system seems the most sensible option...the Vectavane used by David Rainsbury on Piper, his Co26 seems simple and sensible, and was based on Hasler's principle. I am leaning towards this one.
The AutoSteer by Hydravane used by D.Dunnigan (?) (review on Pocketcruisers) also seems ok.
The Hydrovane (dealer right here in Vancouver, B.C.) is horridly expensive: $6,600 Can!!! so that will likely rule it out.

More Opinions, feedback? Thank you.

“You get a boat for only one reason, because you want one.  If you’re worried about being practical, forget boats.”

I have an old Quartermaster windvane that came with the boat.  Tried it out for the first time this year and it appears to work well provided the wind remains steady and the Lake Erie waves aren't too square.  It fits over the rudder head so you don't have to have an Erector Set hanging off the stern.  If you get the chance to look at a book on self steering (I forget the actual title and author) they have a picture of a Contessa 26 with one mounted.  Good luck with the research.

I bought a used (pretty well new though) Navik Windvane (the baby to the Monitor)  Am installing this fall, will let you know how it works when I head off on my first offshore solo trip with it in the spring/summer 2006!

“You get a boat for only one reason, because you want one.  If you’re worried about being practical, forget boats.”

Have you put the Navik on the boat yet?  Any photos of it going on?  Was it easy to do;-)  There is a possible contessa 26 I am looking at but they took off the Monitor after they bought it and sold it so I would be in the market for a Navik.  I have read everything on it but the drawing or photos are not the best.

Looks like my question regarding the "Voyager" windvane was too specific. I would be most interested to hear about ANY windvane in use on a Contessa 26. I am planning to equip my Contessa with a windvane but I have not been able to find any evaluations of a vane in use on a Contessa, aside from the Monitor used by Tania A., and testimonials provided by vendors.

16 (edited by John Lee 2006-02-27 16:33:17)

17 (edited by jarvist 2006-04-09 16:52:12)

Re: Windvane Pacific Light

Sailed Fantana for over 3000nm, unbelievably reliable. Only issue is that you're very exposed when you stand on the transom to physically twist the vane to change direction! Design is very simple, no grease or oil - all big milled bits of aluminium.

It sits on a marine ply & stainless steel construction, steering the boat by a ~4mm diam chain fitting in a little jammer screwed into the tiller. Small (<15 degree) corrections can be made by 'hopping' the chain along, and you can disengage the pilot in a flash. You need to build / have built some kind of block for them to dangle off the back on, if you look at the windpilot website, Fantana is the 'model' for co26s.

The vanes themselves are a simple (template supplied) bit of marine ply, held in place by a pinch grip. The little trim-rudder is similarly simple, and would be repairable pretty much anywhere. You change the angle of the vane depending on the strength of the wind. It doesn't steer brilliantly in a blow when downwind with a following sea.

I am just starting to see what I need to do to adapt the Navik for my boat.  I will take lots of pictures, and will write a book...just kidding! ;-)

John, do you know  where the holes are on the Contessa you are looking at - you said it had a Navik?

The Navik I bought was on a canoe stern, so I will likely have to extend the arms a bit to meet our 48 degree transom angle.   Some sort of stainless sleeve bolted through or welded should do? 

Stefan, (and other metal-savvy guys) how would you extend a 1" stainless tube that will have alot of pressure at an angle?!

Can I put an order in for your book ! I bought the Navik at the weekend and plan to install as a winter refit job.

It was in really good nick and the guy selling it helped me put it all together; it comes with the original manual and the model is stamped as A77 ?

It came off a straight stern from a Moody 27, so like yours may need some extended stainless steel brackets to connect to the sloping transom but on my model the legs are bolted onto the main frame so may not need to weld

I'll post some pictures when I get it back home.

Cheers
Andrew

----------
If the memories are better than the dreams then it's all over.....
[url=http://www.contessa26moonshine.me.uk]www.contessa26moonshine.me.uk[/url]

20 (edited by ShannonRHIANNON 2006-04-09 16:22:04)

Andrew;
Yours sounds like mine, manual, lots of spares, clean, looks like he used it three times?!   I have been measuring for supports and where they will mount on the hull, but I am TOO SCARED to drill holes for the supports!!!

Please send pics of where you are going to drill holes, and maybe together we can overcome?!  har har!

Nigel, how did you mount your Cape Horn?  I was really wanting one of them, but when I saw the triangular piece mounted horizontally with a huge shaft out the center of the transom, I figures a Co26 w/outboard rudder would not be able to handle one....please tell.

A few weeks ago I went to the Copenhagen Boat Show and talked with the guy who builds the First Mate wind vane.  (www.first-mate.dk )... looks like the website is only in Danish...   He says the twenty year old design is well proven and was formely built by a Swedish company.  The thing that impressed me is the simplicity of the fastening and adjusting sytem to the boat, although with a Co26 you'd still have to fashion a brakect to get it outside the rudder.  The vane also costs 'only' $2000 plus shipping.  To me, the Cape Horn seems like the ultimate elegantly simple design, and claims to work in very light airs.  As my boat is new to me, I have no comments yet about its already installed Monitor gear other than the fact that after 20 years on the boat it literally looks just like new.  It appears to be very over designed and over built, but perhaps that is just in comparison to the Cape Horn.

Nige - Do you have that drawing still?  I am in the process of getting a Cape Horn.  I have the Sarah photos but the connection on the tiller is a bit fussy and confusing, though I think I have figured out now though any thoughts on jam cleat/fairlead system would be great. ~jklee

Ushuaia,    It has taken me some time but I just discovered you put a lot of photos (I have save all of them onto my computer for references for future projects) into CO26 photo gallary but really write to us, or at least not under Ushuaia.  Anyway, thank you so much for your photos of your Cape Horn and it does clear up a lot of questions on the Jam Cleat/fairlead.  I love to hear your thoughts on the use of the Cape Horn, as it came with the boat when you bought it just this past year (I believe I have that correct).   ~jklee