Topic: Gel Coat Blisters

Hi Cole!
My old owner pulled "my/his" boat out and thought there was pox, turns out too it was only a bit o' paint and blistery-like stuff, he however epoxied hull, (bonus for me! ;-)  and the guy doing the job said he had never seen such a good hull on such a little boat!  Yup, we have great ones.  See you and Polaris at our Rendezvous on Sept. 17 on Bowen Island?!

Re: Gel Coat Blisters

Just had to share this. Had my 1972 JJT Polaris lifted out for a paint job and to attend to what looked like huge blisters when they were underwater. I'd been saving up to do this for the last two years.
Turned out the blisters were just the old paint coat lifting up and the hull is still dry as a bone, solid as a rock and as good as new. 33 years old. Amazing. I love this little boat. I might have to spend the money on a new sail for her.
Cole

3 (edited by Tim 2007-03-26 19:20:24)

Doing nothing for a year is not as bad as it may seem. Blistering is a very slow process, so your boat will not sink in the next few years. The only way to tell what you really have and how bad would be to grind down one of the larger blisters and see what is in/under it. There should be some good write-ups on the web on how to deal with the blisters. Look up under fiberglass osmosis gelcoat. Try the Interlux web site, I remember them having a booklet on osmosis repairing.

One quick test is to puncture one of the larger blisters (be careful of youe eyes, as the fluid can spray out).  If the fluid has a strong vinegar-y smell it indicates osmosis and dissolving resin...  Opening up a few representative larger ones will also give you an idea of their depth.  You can temporarily fill and fair them and sail for the season, now having some knowledge that will help you plan your long term strategy...