Topic: tillerpilot advice

my autohelm is mounted on a pedistal or post outside of the coming and did not require any other extensions and works well

Re: tillerpilot advice

Thanks for that. How close to the stern do you have the pedestal mounted?

I will be on the boat on thursday and will measure the placement and hight

I have an old autohelm 1000.  It has a little 4" or so high pedestal just aft of the coaming, stbd. side - basically to keep the autohelm level with the top of the tiller.  The power plug is right on the outside back edge of the coaming.  I also tie it on to my traveller bracket!  The tiller pilot is old but still works and I don't want to buy another one yet! I don't use it if it's raining or water splashing onto stern.
Can also send you pics.

I would like to hear from those that have one how well they feel the tillpilot/autohelm works.
Much better to hear from the user than listen to the maker.

Tiller brake or a peice of rope, and good sail trim.  Enough said for one of these boats...

What are people using for a tiller "brake"?!  On port tack, she sails herself, and stbd. she just needs a touch of the finger to hold her there, so a tiller brake...would be ideal!  Did you make it?!  It's more than a bungie cord, I figure, as bungies are too jumpy for our heavy tillers I find.

Thanks Bill...Um, heh heh, I see the Tiller Tamer is a bit cheaper than my windvane...!

Anyways, it looks like a perfect backup for setting a well balanced boat for awhile, and it looks like its great for that afternoon local sail around the bay....or if I have to give my windvane a break for a reason that will make itself shown at 4:00 am in horrid weather...!

Bungies just don't cut it when the rudder weighs more than the skipper...

“You get a boat for only one reason, because you want one.  If you’re worried about being practical, forget boats.”

I have this mounted on the tiller - very useful and helpful for those afternoon sails - only thing that needs replacing is the rope after a couple of years - fraying will occur - but a minor problem given the benefits - I would certainly recommend it.

Ivan Ross

Ivan Ross "Morava" #266

Hey, would someone be happy to put a pic of thier tiller pilot mounting?  And how does it work with the tiller brake?  Thanks!

Hello groop,

I'm a new JJT 1979 CO26 owner and am planning to install a Raymarine ST-1000 tillerpilot. Does anybody have one of these installed already, and, if so, where was the best place to locate it, and did you require an accessory pedestal, bracket, or pushrod extensions?

Thanks for any advice you may have!

Best,

Adam

I'm been measuring this weekend in preparation for installing a Raymarine ST2000 tillerpilot and would welcome feedback on best position !

The manual suggests that the connection should be approximately 460 mm from the end of the tiller from where it'c connected to the hull. Given that the tiller if 1600mm long, this positions the tiller quite far aft "behind" the starboard coving.....which makes it slighter more difficult to get at and adjust ?

Has anybody move a tillerpilot further forward, on or in front of the aft coving ?

Thanks in advance.

Andrew

----------
If the memories are better than the dreams then it's all over.....
[url=http://www.contessa26moonshine.me.uk]www.contessa26moonshine.me.uk[/url]

Mine pedestal mount is in front of aft edge of "rear deck", just aft of coaming lip:  you can see it (3.5"or so high) in front of the red gas/petrol can on the picture under Tech Notes and then look at "Mainsheet traveller aboard Rhiannon".  I have an OLD OLD OLD Autoheom 1000, not sure how it compares to the 21st century ones, ha ha!

“You get a boat for only one reason, because you want one.  If you’re worried about being practical, forget boats.”

My post is in the same place shannon, but I have an old old old Autohelm 800. It works fairly well, though its easily overpowered by anything approaching weather.