Topic: Bow light ? (idiot's guide to)

i've been daysailing. would like to have the option of night sailing or at least not worry if i come in later. so i needs a bow light, because all the electrical was stripped out of the boat before i got it. and i'm really a newbie at boat repair! so with this seemingly simple task i have a bunch of clueless newbie questions

* which bow light would fit a contessa 26, so would match the holes on there.
* how do you install it? do you bolt it or screw or caulk it or...?
* what size wire do i need? (the battery is under the cushion in the cabin)
* speaking of wire - obviously one runs the wire from a panel box or a switch - but how do you attach the wire along the run, especially in the v-berth. (my newbie inclination would be to use white duct tape. i know there are wire clips that you can screw in, but drilling a hole in the hull doesn't seem very prudent)
* and does everyone always get the obscenely expensive 'marine' wire or can you get by with the regular stuff?

tia

Re: Bow light ? (idiot's guide to)

Hi Tia,

If I were you, I would get this really good book by Nigel Calder called, "Boatowner's Mechanical and Electrical Manual", ISBN 0-07-143238-8 which retails for US$ 49.95 or CDN$ 66.95 but you can order it cheaper online.  It pretty much covers everything electrical or mechanical (or most of it, at least) that you would need to know about boat repair.  Good luck with the repairs and remember that it takes the same amount of time to do it right than to do it the wrong way!;-)

José

Tia,  One of my spring jobs is replacing my navigation lights that are low on the boat with a mast trilight/anchor light.  The thought here is to get the lights up as high as I can for others (larger vessels) to see me from a farther distance and so they are not effected by waves heights.  The wiring part is something that is new to me also but something I will figure out when I finally get to my boat's mast look it over after this wintery weather finally departs us here on Lake Erie.  If you wish to have the lights for legal reasons, you can always go down the line with Portable LED Lights w/ suction cup mounts, just a thought and no wiring needed. ~jklee

Best to clarify your question. What do you mean by bow light? Do you mean running lights, with which to be seen, or do you mean a light with which to see? If the latter, really, really not recommended. If the former:

Depends on the holes you mean  - some are attached to the hull, some are attached to the pulpit. Size of the fixture doesn't really matter provided it's covers the area taken up by the holes you mention.

How to install - again, depends on where you're installing. On the pulpit, on the stemhead fitting or deck, on the hull sides?

Wire along the run - not sure of the year of your contessa, but you should be able to tuck it up under the headliner, using cable ties to keep the wires together and affixing those with strategically placed screws.

Obscenely expensive marine wire - yes, definitely. Marine wire is tinned to prevent corrosion in the marine environment. really, what's obscene? You need $20 worth of wire tops for running lights on a 26, saving the $10 for "regular" wire means you will need to do it again.

We liked you better as Tia.....Just kidding!;-)  I hope you're wearing a harness when hopping around on deck.  With regards to having a light shining on your sails at night, I would only do it sporadically and for short periods of time in the event that you have that nagging feeling that an oil tanker doesn't see you at night but keeping it on all the time will totally screw up your night vision.

José

Don't forget. You also need a white light at the stern for the night. It can be mounted on the teak piece that is across the stern.

8 (edited by Virago Deb 2007-04-06 12:10:23)

There are definitely regulations regarding the positioning and visibility of navigation lights - visibility includes distance visible and arc of visibility.  These are clearly spelled out in the Collision Regulations (long form is The International Regulations for the Prevention of Collisions at Sea) and are layed out according to vessel length.  I can't say off hand where you'd find the ColRegs on line, but I can say for sure that there's a hardcopy here where I work.  I'll look it up and post it here.  I do know that current LED technology does not create lights that meet the requirements for a Contessa, even in clusters of, say, 20 they're too dim - especially when you put them behind a red or green lens.

Not true, I know there are many LED nav lights that meet colregs. There are no lenses - LEDs are red, green, and white (in navigation applications) as a function of their electronic properties, not because of any coloured lens.

And some are so bright they can cause eye damage.

I stand corrected.  I went looking for replacement bulbs last year and was told that no bulbs would do the trick, I wasn't looking to replace the whole fixture.  Anyhoo, the ColReg section that sets out the requirements are Rules 21 and 22.

The West Marine catalog has a page on the regs. I do not know if the same info is in their web site, but you could give it a try.

After this exchange I called the Transport Canada Ship Safety Office in Collingwood, Ont. and equired about approval of LED lights in Canada.  All I will say is that things that are approved in the US are not neccessarily approved in Canada. Common examples are: PFDs and Lifejackest - those that are US approved but bear no Canadian approval are not legal for use in Canada. Ditto for life rings and other items.  I was told that, up to that time, the officer I spoke to did not know of any LED lights approved for use in Canada.  Not saying they're not out there, but if you are looking at West Marine or another US supplier you might be wise to check with Transport Canada to find out if the item you want is also approved in Canada if you are outfitting a boat for use in Canadian waters.   Maybe check with Brewer Brothers or another major Canadian supplier to see what they offer.