Topic: Varuna suprise

This evening when I was looking through my latest sailing book, "How to Sail Around the World" by Hal Roth, I came across, on double page, a large B/W photo of Varuna and Tania Aebi at the end of her voyage that I have never seen before.  I was surprised and proud that our little boat would be the first one for the reader to see in an "How To" book.  Hal described on the following page with small version of the B/W photo what goes into Blue-waters sailing.  This photo is the best one I have ever seen of Vanura sailing and I wish I had a scanner to make a copy of it for the files. The photo is taken from the Aft-Starboard with Tania wearing warm cap, a sweater and oilskin while the sails are reefed.  Just thought I pass this along. Cheers, ~jklee

Re: Varuna suprise

Maybe you can take a pic of it and put it on the page that way.  I really like seeing those pictures of that monumental voyage.  That book gave me great encouragement.  Cheers

Ditto, John!  I finally broke down and ordered, "Maiden Voyage" online and got it a couple of days ago.  Man, what an adventure!  I should finish the book tonight but I was very impressed with first of all, Tania Aebi's skill, courage, tenacity and sheer luck but also of Varuna's surprising speed and reliability which is a testament to our  boats.  This was before GPS was common as well!  Wow!  I hope she's at the next boat show.

José

p.s. Thirty days and counting until splashdown!

5 (edited by John Lee 2007-03-20 05:11:18)

Adrian,  My guess is that the winds were 25-30Kts with 3-4 foot seas in the photo I have plus she is 16 mile out to sea from NYC.  When I first looked at the photo I could not even tell it was Tania but I knew it was a Contessa 26.  The ending comment to this photo was that this taken in November 1987 but could have been taken in 50 before or in the future as the seas and wind change little.  fyi ~jklee

I too read Hal Roth's book and was very pleased to see that picture of Varuna.  It definately puts what our boats can do in perspective.  I'd also love to get a copy of that picture but unfortunately I don't have the hardware to scan it either.

I've got the equipment, but not the pic!  Get it to me and I'll scan?

Okay, I finally broke down and bought a scanner (for other reasons) and scanned the photo of Varuna (spelled wrong the first time in the gallery).  I had orginally scanned the photo using Tiff and then resaved it as a jpg to get the size down to what photo gallery would take.  I did merge the 2-page version of the smaller photo of Varuna but even jpg-ing at the lowest level, it was still 11,000kb in size!I just cannot get the small photo to look good blown up, sorry.  Anyway, visit the gallery to see Varuna best photograph, to me at least.  ~jklee

Fantastic John!

I've fixed the typo in the first file title.

Thanks for the excellent find. Truly an excellent photograph of a Contessa 26.

Thanks, there are times my mind is someplace else instead of on the letters I am trying to type. 

I tried again to improve my varuna photo scanning it in just jpg (2-page version) but what I see in my folder is not what I see in the Adobe Photo Element 4 or when I put it in a document (document looks good on screen) and print it off the photo has the B/W dots.  I am a bit confused at this as I have done 100's of scans of B/W and color, large and small with no problems on my father's scanner (earlier version of mine).  I will have to play some more with the scanner.  If anyone wants an electric version that is 1 - 10 GB jpg or tiff just e-mail me off line with subject line Varuna photo.  ~jklee

Hi John,

First of all, thanks for posting that fantastic photo of Tania on Varuna.  It really is one of the best, raw photos of a Contessa 26 in action that I've seen.  Secondly, there should be a descreen setting on your scanner menu selections and that should take care of the screen pattern which should make the photo look more like a photograph. 

Alternatively, find out who took the picture in the credit section of the book.  I could hunt him down fairly easily and request for a colour copy of the original or even contact the publisher for it.

That pic makes me want to sail now!!!!!  Thanks again, John.

José

12 (edited by John Lee 2007-03-25 11:14:56)

Jose'  -  Yes, it makes me want to sail or just get back to my boat.  Today would have been a great day uncover my boat but instead I cleaned and teak stained my steps.  Next weekend for sure, as I need to get the trap off and start my many projects.   
The prographer is Russell Turiak (I tried to look him up on the internet with this photo but no luck) for pages ii-iii, and the publisher is International Marine / McGraw-Hill, PO Box 220 Camden, ME 04843.  Title is "How to Sail Around the World" copyright 2004 by Hal Roth.
Hope this helps, as this photo is nothing like any of Tania's photo as she finished her trip into NYC Harbor.  ~jklee

PS, Thanks Jose', I figured out the problem because of you!  I am redoing the small photo (Adrian, you can delete the Mar 24 small photo if you wish as its quality is not good) plus putting on the 2 pager that is a bit cropped.

Hi John,

Hey, you found the pic!   I'm just glad that I could help out.  I'm in the water in three weeks so I'm getting that feeling!  Lots to do before splash down and not enough time to do it.  It's going to be a very busy pre-season but I'm  pins and needles about getting out and spending time on Tessa over the next three seasons this year.  Yep, she's going to be in the water a full 6-7 months this year which will make up for a very late season last year.  Can't wait to meet up with some of you this spring, summer and fall.  Cheers, all!

José

14 (edited by KodiakGirl 2007-07-31 00:56:26)

My paperback copy has photos in the middle too!

16 (edited by KodiakGirl 2007-07-31 00:57:13)

She'a a really interesting woman. I met her last year at the Toronto boat show.

I have two different copies. They only have a map. There seem to be six different releases of the book.

ISBN        Publisher
0671666533    Simon & Schuster    1989    Hard cover          drawings – photos
0340523913    Hodder & Stoughton    1990    Hard cover          maps – illustrations
0345368762    Ballantine Books    1991    Paper back      map only   
0340549807    Coronet, UK    1991    Paper back
0345410122    Ballantine Books    1996    Paperback        map only
0613070224    Sagebrush Ed Res    1996    School rebinding

Has anyone read her new book, "I've been around"?

Adrian, do not be shy, you wrote a nice write-up on your Frog website, if others would like to read it.  Can't remember the address.
Seeadler, I have not read Tania's newest book yet, someday.
~jklee

20 (edited by KodiakGirl 2007-07-31 00:58:55)