Topic: Radar Mounting

Is is advisable to mount radar on the mast where it will interfere a bit with the foresale when tacking or on a post which is...well...a post)

Re: Radar Mounting

I have mine mounted just above the spreaders. It is a standard 18" size. I rarely have any problem with it. Sometimes a halyard from one side gets flicked onto the other side but this is not a problem and would only lead to wear over a long time. If I tack with the largest genoa in light winds and pull the sheet in hard before the sail has had time to come across then it gets caught on one side of the dome, but I only have to loosen the sheet and let the wind blow the sail around. I would mount it up the mast if doing it again. I use my radar for seeing ships at distance, so the higher the better. When you mount it lower the range is reduced and the sea clutter from waves increases. If you are only using it for finding close in bouys in the fog then a pole mount would be ok.

Seeadles, Did you use a plug through the deck for the wiring?  Where did you get one? I am thinking of putting mine on the mast as well.

4 (edited by seeadler 2007-04-23 09:37:19)

Thanks for your extensive reply, I had a similiar idea , and you confirmed it!

Any thoughts on putting the radar right at the top of the mast?  I understand that higher is better.  Is the weight an issue?